Trusted Contributor

Re: Has this ever happened to you… friend continues to bring you awful food?

I think that giving gifts of food to casual acquaintances is very inconsiderate. It only makes the gift-giver feel good and many times puts the recipient in an uncomfortable position.

It's not very considerate to give a gift without thinking of the recipient. It's so simple to either ask someone, or think about things they enjoy to choose an appropriate gift.

Honored Contributor

On 1/4/2014 lacey1 said:

I think that giving gifts of food to casual acquaintances is very inconsiderate. It only makes the gift-giver feel good and many times puts the recipient in an uncomfortable position.

It's not very considerate to give a gift without thinking of the recipient. It's so simple to either ask someone, or think about things they enjoy to choose an appropriate gift.

LOL!! You are SOOOO right! I was thinking about that last night. WHY is it so many people push food on us? Is it to give us something we want? Probably not in my experience. Looking back at the people who do this, it is because they want compliments and will bug the heck out of you until you fawn over their cooking.

Fellow posters, let's get some backbone and simply say to them "THANK YOU SO MUCH! But I am not going to take this because it is not something I will eat."

JUST SAY NO! {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} We are not responsible for the care and feeding of the fragile egos of many would-be-chefs we know.

Esteemed Contributor

I'd never be able to tell someone that the food was awful. No matter how bad it was. How do you say it? I'd just accept, not mention it again and hope she'd eventually stop.

Somehow MIL's neighbor thought DH liked (loved) the biscotti she made. He never even tasted them, He received a gift every time she made them, right up until the day she died.

Honored Contributor

On 1/4/2014 Mary Bailey said:

I'd never be able to tell someone that the food was awful. No matter how bad it was. How do you say it? I'd just accept, not mention it again and hope she'd eventually stop.

Somehow MIL's neighbor thought DH liked (loved) the biscotti she made. He never even tasted them, He received a gift every time she made them, right up until the day she died.

I don't think you have to say it's bad, but I think we really should be able to tell someone "It looks wonderful, but truthfully I won't eat it and I don't want to deprive someone else of it." That should be enough. If someone keeps pushing you, that's their problem and don't let them make it yours!

Respected Contributor

I personally would just fess up that you don't care for them. If she's a good friend you can hopefully have a laugh over it.

She's putting time, effort, and money into it for you for something you are tossing out.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

I am diabetic and sometimes cannot eat much of food gifts like sweets, so I give them to others or toss them if perishable. One friend gave me candy at Christmas. I wonder what she is thinking.

We've been given bad prepared food. We eat a token amount and the rest is tossed. Sad to do it, but I'm not eating things I don't like. And it's difficult to tell someone their food tastes awful when they tried to do something nice.

Respected Contributor

I would tell her in advance you won't be able to accept her soup anymore as it's just not agreeing with you. Thank her anyway and tell her to give to someone else that can enjoy it.

(Taste buds change every 7 years).

Trusted Contributor

Yeah, I would practice my "speech" in front of a mirror or with a friend. If I was getting an annual unwanted food gift from someone-Be Honest. Say, " Oh, I know you went thru trouble and expense to make this stuffed iguana, but to be honest- I can't appreciate it as you meant it to be. Please pass it along to someone that would enjoy it more."

I think you would only have to say that once. You may hurt their feelings, but how would they feel if they knew you were throwing it out?

Valued Contributor

On 1/4/2014 Sunshine Kate said:

I would tell her in advance you won't be able to accept her soup anymore as it's just not agreeing with you. Thank her anyway and tell her to give to someone else that can enjoy it.

(Taste buds change every 7 years).

That's what I would do.

I can't tell you how many things I once liked, & have lost my taste for.

Respected Contributor

You definitely can get out of this one, tell her that years back it was so delicious and this time you got sick. Tell her you better not eat it anymore, it must be something that isn't agreeing with you anymore.

I can't eat a lot of really spicy things like I used to so this is a plausible story.