Trusted Contributor

Re: Has this ever happened to you… friend continues to bring you awful food?

Throw it out

Honored Contributor

I'm appreciative of any food I receive.

Respected Contributor

I think that to say anything now would not be good. Just continue to accept it with thanks and then dispose of it afterwards.

In my family there are lots of dietary issues, so we just say, "We can't eat anything with ______. Fill in the blank. Like, high sodium, fat, onion, garlic, whatever. My mom has Celiac, so she can't have gluten. That's usually a good excuse.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

Do you have a dog? They love something like that poured over their food.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

On 1/3/2014 Marienkaefer2 said:

I think that to say anything now would not be good. Just continue to accept it with thanks and then dispose of it afterwards.

In my family there are lots of dietary issues, so we just say, "We can't eat anything with ______. Fill in the blank. Like, high sodium, fat, onion, garlic, whatever. My mom has Celiac, so she can't have gluten. That's usually a good excuse.

Yes! You could suddenly get a food allergy or sensitivity to whatever is in that soup and be doing an elimination diet, going down to just a few basic foods and is very limiting, only adding back one food item at a time. You can't have processed foods, so accepting dishes you haven't strictly prepared isn't in the diet. Until you figure out what you are allergic to, you can't take her wonderful soup!

Super Contributor

I have a friend who continually brings me candy, cookies, baked stuff, etc. I know this isn't "awful" food, so not really related to your question. But the thing is that she knows I'm diabetic and she keeps bringing me sugary sweets.

I totally understand that it is the thought that counts, but a wee part of me wonders what kind of thought would go into giving...say....kryptonite to Superman? It's kinda the same thing as giving sugar to a diabetic, no? I sometimes wonder if she wants me to kick the bucket? But I don't have a secret life insurance policy with her named as sole beneficiary, so I don't think that's the case. I dunno!

Many years ago when I was in better health (before diabetes), we did share dessert and coffee together, so I suppose she might just be rememering the better times. In any case, I thank her and then pass along the goodies to an elderly neighbor who enjoys them very much.

Respected Contributor

On 1/3/2014 iam4truth said:

I have a friend who continually brings me candy, cookies, baked stuff, etc. I know this isn't "awful" food, so not really related to your question. But the thing is that she knows I'm diabetic and she keeps bringing me sugary sweets.

I totally understand that it is the thought that counts, but a wee part of me wonders what kind of thought would go into giving...say....kryptonite to Superman? It's kinda the same thing as giving sugar to a diabetic, no? I sometimes wonder if she wants me to kick the bucket? But I don't have a secret life insurance policy with her named as sole beneficiary, so I don't think that's the case. I dunno!

Many years ago when I was in better health (before diabetes), we did share dessert and coffee together, so I suppose she might just be rememering the better times. In any case, I thank her and then pass along the goodies to an elderly neighbor who enjoys them very much.

Maybe she keeps bringing them to you because you keep accepting them. I think.next time you could gently tell her that you appreciate the thought, but you cannot eat them. And don't accept them.

Unless you really enjoy passing them on. Your neighbor seems to.like them. Smiley Happy

I brought cookies to an acquaintance once, and she told me she was diabetic. She didn't accept the cookies, and I wasn't offended at all. I didn't do that anymore either. I think you have to.respect people's health concerns.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

I can't lie about food allergies in my case. We are good friends and eat out together frequently. It would be too difficult a lie to keep up. It's too late to tell her the truth about the soup, but I've learned in the future to be more honest right off.

Honored Contributor

I have a dear friend who I have known for years...she knows I do not consume alcohol in any form. Every year, like clockwork, she brings me one of her "famous" rum cakes for my birthday....you can smell it before she takes the cover off of it...she pours almost a whole bottle of rum over the cake after it is finished baking. The aroma alone is just awful to me.

Why does she do this? I have even told her "now you know I won't eat this, don't you?" she just waves me off and says that it is so good than no one has ever said no to it...etc.....I have an elderly neighbor I give it to and he looks forward to my birthday every year!

Honored Contributor

I'd tell her I was starting a diet or some other story and am going to have to pass on the soup. She may be making it because she knows you like it and wants to do something nice for you.