Super Contributor

Re: Has this ever happened to you… friend continues to bring you awful food?

I never had anyone bring us any bad already made food, but once a friend without much money wanted to make a dinner for us at our house to repay us for our dinner invitations to her. We didn't have much money either then, but my husband's a great cook and can make something out of nothing. Well, the poor girl who thought she was a great cook proceeded to make us the most horrible "stroganoff", I don't remember exactly what she put in it, but it was basically a kinda creamy beer soup with ground beef. I don't drink at all, but we had to gag it down in order to spare her feelings and told her it was great. The worst part was she was only being the chef that night and watched us eat the whole time, no chance to pretend to eat. It was horrifying! I WISH it had only been dropped off, ha, ha.
Trusted Contributor

I will admit to being hypersensitive about this issue. Much like Oceanview, my mother was being taken advantage of by a 'sweet little old lady'. It started out very innocently, giving neighbors unwanted treats. Everyone felt sorry for her, they took her cat-haired treats and tossed them when she left. Well, this women gave the treats as an 'in' to start manipulating everyone. She had people cleaning her house, doing laundry, cutting her grass, shopping, taking her to appts., giving her money, etc. And if wasn't as if this woman was destitute. She had money and had alienated her own family. My mother's neighbor actually had anxiety attacks, and refused to go in her own front yard to avoid this woman. Found out later that she had caused the same trouble in her old neighborhood.

I DO understand the difference with an occasional plate of brownies and abuse. However, I do know that abusers start small, and I'm sure a lot of people are forced into bad situations.

Honored Contributor

Can't you go on some type of diet that wouldn't allow this? Gluten free, low sodium, whatever?

Honored Contributor

Good night. After reading all through this I had to remind myself we are just referring back to a pot of soup.

Accept the next pot and tell her that will be the final one. Too much drama over soup.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."