Honored Contributor

Re: Has the Kitchen Section Gone to Pot?

So...............................

I should try to be less INSULTING

& on the other hand.......................

I should try to be less INSULTED

LOL, did I get that right?????

Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Hahaha, ChiliPepper Smiley Happy   Yeah!  Or, something like that Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@ChiliPepper wrote:

So...............................

I should try to be less INSULTING

& on the other hand.......................

I should try to be less INSULTED

LOL, did I get that right?????

Smiley Very Happy

@ChiliPepper

I get what you are saying, but I just want to tell you that you and a couple of others are the reason I stayed here.

Thank you for being so nice to me Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Oh my, I feel like I have to get my group hug on  . . . 

Honored Contributor

So, no, lol, I am not thin skinned and although it was not just one instance of, let's call it, a not so warm welcome, I honestly don't remember who or what the exact response was, those persons may not even be posting here any longer themselves. The original question was, I believe, why are people no longer posting much, or did I misconstrue the OP. I also did not mean to offend anyone here. Sorry if I did.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1

Hi snicks, well I'm glad that you stopped by, its good to hear your opinions!!!

Cute dog too!!! Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Noel7

Thanks Noel!

Well, I'm glad that you decided to stay around! I enjoy your recipes & all the ideas that you bring here.

Please try to ignore the negativity & stay with us.

Haters always gonna hate, consider the source! Luckily the good people waaaaaay out way the bad.

Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I feel propelled to clarify something - 

Maybe I'm wrong (if there actually IS a right and wrong) but I see it like this - 

There is a vast difference, for me, between saying 'whoa, that's an artery-clogger' (or whatever-critiquing the recipe or aspects of said recipe), and saying something like 'you're an idiot for posting that recipe'.

For me there is a serious lot of space between between a critique of the recipe and an insult posted at the person who posted it.

For me, the first one wouldn't be impolite but the second one would.

I guess one of  my points is, "Why even SAY, 'whoa, thats an artery clogger' at all"? While it may not be insulting to the person who posted the recipe, it sort of implies that the rest of us are too ignorant to know  what clogs arteries or too stupid  to care..I think we all know when a recipe is unhealthy, I doubt very much it needs to be pointed out..but htat was notmy point in my reply- My point was if someone posts that they "love" something, then someone comes in right after and says they "hate" it ( and I am not talking about suggesting substitutions in a recipe).. well to me, there is more going on there than just simply stating an opinion, especiallyif the poster id not ask for one..

And CB, I dont expect you to sugar coat your words, nor do I want you to, but honestly, there some posters seem to get a "high" out of putting down and criticizing nearly everything.. perhaps their  self described "superior " eating habits put  them  on a different level than we mere mortal cooks, maybe it is just  an evangelical "zeal" that they feel about what they do and they truly DO want to "enlighten" us all.... ....

This is definitely not you,CB,  but your point that it is hard to know what someone might find insulting is well taken.. so I usually err on the side of being more tactful, even if it means keeping my opinions inside sometimes. The world does not hold its breath for my opinions....... Remember we cannot  "read" inflection and tone here like in real conversations... 

Honored Contributor

Hi Tam!  

I definitely agree that there ARE things that, while totally true, really don't need to be said.  I will also admit that every now and then I do say something when I should have just zipped it. 

I'm so used to people who 'get' me that I have to work on not saying something that really doesn't actually need to be said, despite the fact that it is true.

(I hope all that made sense)

I also agree that there are some who  are particularly nasty and cutting and those are DEFINITELY things that don't need to be said.   Those are things that are said by people who really don't care about anybody else's feelings at all and choose to condescend to others because I think that they are also the type of person who only know how to feel better about themselves by tearing others apart.   

That's my take, anyway, as I have known people like that in RL and it's just sad so I tend to ignore.  Smiley Happy  Well, I had to LEARN to ignore that sort of thing over time anyway.

You are also right about erring on the side of tactful and I strive for that.  I always enjoy reading your posts, whether we agree or not - and that's ok.  We are grown ups and can converse without contention and insults.  Thank You!  Heart

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt not only do I agree with you, I wanted to be post # 100!!!!

LOL!