Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone used plastic cutting mats

I have the colorful cutting mats from BBB.  I think you get about 6 mats.  All bright colors.

As for my wooden cutting boards, I've always thrown them in the dishwasher.  I use the air dry setting when I do.  The same for the plastic cutting mats.  Never an issue.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

I love, love, love my cutting Mats. I bought mine here years ago and use mine every day. Anytime I have to do anything on my counter top I pull out a mat then I  put it on the bottom of my dishwasher around the edges. I fill it more sanitary then preparing right on the counter top. To keep them flat I take them straight out of the dishwasher and store them under my cookie sheets and they stay flat. I'll use 2 or 3 a day.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FlowerBear   Yes, I love them.  I had heavy boards, so difficult to lift and store, and when I discovered these at zulily, I stocked up, so easy to use, clean and store.  I have two very large which I use for pizza dough and cookies, medium for lots of prep, and small for making a sandwich, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@froggy - I agree with you about the cut marks, but I actually just think you can see them more on plastic mats than on other boards because the material is slightly reflective and less substantial. To keep mine flat, I store them in a drawer sandwiched between a large wooden board that only gets used for huge turkeys/roasts a few times a year and a nice Blue Jean Chef antimicrobial board with a strawberry design that I got here at QVC several years ago (for fun, I just looked up the set: K33014). My really large ones are stored beneath cookie sheets in my under-oven drawer, which also keeps them flat.

Honored Contributor

I  primarily purchased that same set to use for rolling out dough & kneading.

I got sidetracked with that project (I've never baked) so I started using them for cutting & slicing.   I have the same experience as others.    I can see & feel every cut mark.   I store mine flat, so they've stayed relatively flat.

I find them very handy.   When I make tuna salad, for example, I can chop up the pickles & eggs right there together, plenty of room to do both.   It's good for prepping for cooking.  You can cut up your veggies all in the same spot.

I think they are a lesser quality.   I purchased a large cutting board with various cutting mats stored inside.   You pull out a mat, put it on top of the actual board.   It's all pretty substantial but it works out that I can stand it vertically against my backsplash and just lay it down on the counter when I need it.   The mats are much better quality.

@FlowerBear 

Esteemed Contributor

I have a few wooden cutting boards but the cutting board I use the most is glass.  It sits on my countertop all the time and I wash it several times a day.  I want to be sure it is clean before I use it.  I do not put it in my dishwasher as it has little rubber feet on the bottom that are glued on and I don't want them to fall off.  The design livens up my boring countertops and blends in my kitchen decor.  Bought it decades ago at Walmart and have no complaints.  I use my wooden cutting boards now for charcuterie boards when we entertain.  

Honored Contributor

@froggy you're not alone.  I also prefer a wood or Corian cutting board.  Wood actually has antibacterial properties.  I have a small, thin Wolfgang Puck one that came with a knife set that I use most of the time if I don't have a lot of cutting to do.  It stores vertically with the knives so it's out of the way but in easy reach.  One of my Corian pieces just sits on the countertop next to the stove since I can also sit hot pots on it.

Respected Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

I got a set of 3 plastic (bpa free) cutting mats at walmart today.   For cutting meats and veggies etc.  I am not sure if I like them or not, I havent tried one. Has anyone used and liked them and do they work? Thank you!

I just bought the set of 3 boxes of throw away cutting plastic that was on this past sunday from QVC. It has a cutter on it, and you can make it as long as you like, it can be curled and carried to what ever you are cooking. Then throw away. I sliced zuchinni so just wiped it off, and will use again. I bake a lot of Artisan bread, so that is what I bought it for. I like it, glad I bought it.

Honored Contributor

I have been on a mission to remove all plastics from my kitchen, so the answer would be no.

I have wooden cutting boards that I love.  Wood also has antibacterial properties.

Respected Contributor

Gave up plastic a long time ago when I read they are harder on your knives.