Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone tried Oprah's new food products ?

From a Variety article on the 10th anniversary of the school Oprah set up:  "Winfrey estimates she’s spent roughly $140 million to keep the Henley on Klip-based school, just outside Johannesburg, running. She pays for every sock, every uniform, every set of braces. This past year, one girl damaged her arm so badly in a car accident, she needed multiples surgeries. Winfrey paid for them all."

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whatnow wrote:

@Foodie 7 She started the school but her charities support it.She has done great things but she isn't generous with her money

@Whatnow

OMG!  What is wrong with Oprah's establishment of that school and obtaining financial support of it via contributions from a charity she set up???  Would the need have been satisfied for the school had not she taken the bull by the horns? If a person's celebrity can bring about fulfillment of a need without that person going into his/her pockets (which was not the case with Oprah and that school), I say, 'great job, thank you very much' for getting the need met.  What Oprah did was legitimate and not at all a novel concept.  

Clearly, you are just shooting from the hip with fake statements when you say Oprah 'isn't generous with her money' which basically obliterates your acknowledgement that 'she has done great things'.  It reminds me of the comment made by a poster about O that, 'it's not like she doesn't  have enough money already'.. She has donated millions to charitable causes and organizations in addition to her three main charities.  Her will includes a provision to leave $1,000,000,000.00 to charity.  Her time in support of variouis causes is another way that Oprah gives.

Her Angel Network charity is focused on people-involvement.  Oprah assumes full responsibility for all adminstrative overhead and operation of the charity but 100% of the donations go to the stated initiatives of the charity.  Her Oprah Winfrey Foundation accepts no donations because it is endowed exclusively by her.  In essence, her personal money is used to fund grants to charities and help projects of interest to her.  This is the foundation she initially created in 2007 towards funding the Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa.  The OWFoundation has holdings of more than $190M in funds and assets.  And yes, her Oprah Winfrey Operating Foundation was established exclusively for donations from people towards the operation and building repair/improvement projects of the Leadership Academy for Girls un South Africa. 

If this ain't being generous, please cite instances and personalities that meet your definition of generous giving of their personal monies.

It amazes me that the OP asked whether anyone would be trying Oprah's canned soups and that inquiry resulted in comments that attempt to dissect her altruism negatively.  I wonder why there is this vitriol for her here? 

Trusted Contributor

I would try it if I could find it. Her ad says it's in the refrigerated soup aisle?  What?  You mean in the same aisle as tv dinners?  I looked everywhere and could not find it!  

Esteemed Contributor

@puttypiesmom The refrigerated soups are near the deli in a local supermarket in my area.  I haven't seen her soups though.

Esteemed Contributor

won't....I prefer making my own so I can control the salt content...

Valued Contributor

Once in awhile, I would try a new soup like Lobster Bisque. Expensive, good, but not for everyday. Oprah's sounds like this, if it's $6 per unit.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow! I went away for ten days, and came back to the same old bashing. Me thinks I need even more time away...

I always enjoyed Oprah, admire her, and wish her much more success. Her wealth is hard earned and shared with others. I have been to Johannesburg, and have seen the good she has done there for young girls of color.

Now, back to the original question: I would love to try the foods she is promoting .I will buy, if I come across them in my store. Like her, I struggle with weight. So, she hasn't become a skinny minnie like Marie O, but her affiliation with Weight Watchers has been a positive thing for many who just need to try a healthier way of eating. Weight Watchers offers more than just prepackaged foods (like NutriSystem). There's a sensible eating plan, support, and you do get to eat regular foods. If Oprah profits from investing in the company, and by lending her personal promotion to the company, then that is free enterprise. Quit accusing her of just being in it for the money. I believe she has a bigger heart than most of the commenters on these boards.

Trusted Contributor

I am the original poster.  I found the mashed potatoes and mac and cheese sides at my local Kroger.  They were in the refrigerated section  near the packaged lunch meat.  I was not interested in those because I want to try the soups.  The soups are not in stock yet so I will still look each week when I grocery shop.

Esteemed Contributor

The mashed potatoes look grainy.  Not the texture I want in mashed potatoes.  

Trusted Contributor

I wouldn’t buy these, simply because they are from her.

besides, you can go to almost any supermarket and buy the mashed potato/cauliflower combination. Green Giant has one, and I think I saw Ore-Ida having one too. Trader Joe’s carries soups similar to the one she shows. Probably made by the same company.