Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone tried Oprah's new food products ?

I have coupons, so I will try one.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3

The Rich earn way tooooo much money. The middle class and lower class need a BIG FAT RAISE and need to pay less taxes. On the news recently, they said - in the last 41 years, salaries have gone down. Years ago, people didn't need to work 2 and 3 jobs to support their families. Most people live paycheck to paycheck.

Why should a CEO of a company make several million $$$$ a year - and the employees barely make a living???? It wasn't like that years ago. I'm "old" so I remember the past!!!!

Honored Contributor

I saw an ad for a local grocery store. They are selling a wide variety of  20 ozs soup for $2.74 and $2.24.

There is Lobster Bisque, Heartland Chili, ChickenDumplings, Manhattan Clam Chowder, New England Clam Chowder, Butternut squash and Apple. Also Chicken Noodle, Minestrone, Pumpkin Bisque, Tomato Bisque, Italian Wedding with Meatballs, Cream of Broccoli with Chesse, Beef Barley and Vegetable and Broccole Cheddar.

The soups are all fresh, ever frozen, no preservatives, bases or concentrates.

Wonder how they compare to Oprah's.

Valued Contributor

Agree Chessylady. Oprah has done incredible work to benefit others. Example, that school for girls in Africa that she started. I think she is a woman to be admired.

Trusted Contributor

@Vivian

One of the best things in fall and winter is making and eating soups and stews.  The lovely smells and tastes; the easy meals.

Sometimes I make a sort of starter and freeze, then add some of the veggies fresh. (Such as zucchini to a minestrone)

Esteemed Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@vabreeze

It's fine that she is making money, my point being, if you are touting that you want "everyone" to eat healty, then make it affordable for "everyone".    Do you really think that those of us on a fixed income, or food stamps can afford a $6.00, serving for one, soup?   Now, if she is going to sell it as gourmet foods, then sell it as such.

Keeping  this in mind, I will repeat my original statement of it's all about the money. 

@Georgiagrama

Of course it's about the money and let's throw in some ego, too. 

I challenge all of you to please read labels.  Everyone's labels.  If it has anything added to it that you would NOT include in your own home-made soup, then don't purchase it.  The additives/chemicals, many of which are "modified" starches and soy products, are known irritants.  For me, they are harbingers of spiked migraine pain.

When I want/need soup, I'll roast a chicken or turkey, use the meat for its primary purpose, then place the carcass in a stock pot with water and herbs, cooking it down into a stock and pulling off all the great bits of meat.  From there I can add anything I want, without all of the horrible chemicals processed into the most benign things we consume.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative wrote:

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@vabreeze

It's fine that she is making money, my point being, if you are touting that you want "everyone" to eat healty, then make it affordable for "everyone".    Do you really think that those of us on a fixed income, or food stamps can afford a $6.00, serving for one, soup?   Now, if she is going to sell it as gourmet foods, then sell it as such.

Keeping  this in mind, I will repeat my original statement of it's all about the money. 

@Georgiagrama

Of course it's about the money and let's throw in some ego, too. 

I challenge all of you to please read labels.  Everyone's labels.  If it has anything added to it that you would NOT include in your own home-made soup, then don't purchase it.  The additives/chemicals, many of which are "modified" starches and soy products, are known irritants.  For me, they are harbingers of spiked migraine pain.

When I want/need soup, I'll roast a chicken or turkey, use the meat for its primary purpose, then place the carcass in a stock pot with water and herbs, cooking it down into a stock and pulling off all the great bits of meat.  From there I can add anything I want, without all of the horrible chemicals processed into the most benign things we consume.

@sfnative, of course it's better to do homemade. But not everybody can on a regular basis, for whatever reason -- hence the concept of convenience foods.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Razzy 7 She started the school but her charities support it.She has done great things but she isn't generous with her money

Honored Contributor

@sfnative ITA with everything you said.I love homemade soup,so hearty and satisfying without all of the salt and junk additives.nothing simpler than to put a pot on the stove,add ingredients and let them simmer and mAke your home smell delicious.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Razzy 7 She started the school but her charities support it.She has done great things but she isn't generous with her money

@dex, I don't understand.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland