Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone tried Oprah's new food products ?

[ Edited ]

I was about to start a new thread as I forgot about this one, lol.

My in-laws picked up some soups but also her mashed potatoes (plain and with garlic). They had coupons for them and the mashed potatoes were the side dish for dinner, soup for lunch when they wouldn't have time to make their own.

They gave it all a thumbs down. When I asked why, they mentioned a funny aftertaste, grittiness and no flavor. I asked was this the potatoes they were talking about and they said, yes but the grittiness was only an issue with the potatoes (which makes sense).  I'm hoping they'll give out samples at the meetings (they always have with new WW food but I don't know if Oprahs is actually a WW food though they talk it up at meetings). I also haven't seen it in my stores so far.

Edited for grammar.

Honored Contributor

Anyone that sells something is in it for the money.  Why else would they be in business?

I haven't heard of Oprah's food ,but good luck to her

Honored Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

Not sure why people are hating on Oprah, she is truly a self-made woman who started as a poor, sexually abused girl. It could have destroyed her but she is a strong competent woman.

I think a lot of people who used to like her now see her as someone with an inflated ego and sense of importance and authority.  We are tired of listening to her preach and expound on her views and likes as if they are the final word and the voice of authority.  

As we used to say in the country: "Shes gotten too big for her britches."  For example someone with a private chef selling canned soup. . .

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

Not sure why people are hating on Oprah, she is truly a self-made woman who started as a poor, sexually abused girl. It could have destroyed her but she is a strong competent woman.

I think a lot of people who used to like her now see her as someone with an inflated ego and sense of importance and authority.  We are tired of listening to her preach and expound on her views and likes as if they are the final word and the voice of authority.  

As we used to say in the country: "Shes gotten too big for her britches."  For example someone with a private chef selling canned soup. . .

Oprah has zero control over how you perceive her. 

“inflated ego, sense of importance and authority” are just emotional phrases someone has placed on another human being.

Facts are facts.

Oprah was financially poor growing up.

Oprah was sexually abused as a child.

Oprah has worked hard to overcome many obstacles.

Oprah is a self-made woman

Oprah is one of ‘America’s Richest Self-Made Women” billionaires.

She has many of the stereotypical excuses society uses

to proclaim not be successful....and broke through.

I think she deserves a slow-clap applause for a long time to come. 

As the commercial saying goes, “Don’t hate because I’m beautiful.”

Respected Contributor

I go to WW and these products are not affiliated. That being said, I can make mashed potatoes and mix in cauliflower rice and significantly reduce the amount of mashed potatoes I am eating for the same taste. In WW they are changing the program in December, around the 5th and Oprah will have a line of food that she is associated with and it will be delivery food. I will see what it is about when they formally announce it. Oprah has calls every Thursday for WW members. I got on 1 and did not care to much about it. I am more excited about WW hiring Mindy Grossman (former CEO of HSN)  as the CEO. I am hoping we get some nice changes. I heard though the membership price is going up. I am OK with that because WW has helped me so much that I can't imagine my life without it. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

Oprah has zero control over how you perceive her. 

“inflated ego, sense of importance and authority” are just emotional phrases someone has placed on another human being.

Facts are facts.

Oprah was financially poor growing up.

Oprah was sexually abused as a child.

Oprah has worked hard to overcome many obstacles.

Oprah is a self-made woman

Oprah is one of ‘America’s Richest Self-Made Women” billionaires.

She has many of the stereotypical excuses society uses

to proclaim not be successful....and broke through.

I think she deserves a slow-clap applause for a long time to come. 

As the commercial saying goes, “Don’t hate because I’m beautiful.”

I didn't say anything about how she great up, how successful she is or anything else except I said a lot of people think she ego has become out of control and we're tired of her proclamations about what is good and HER views of things.  I have a right to speak my mind JUST as Oprah does, and you do.  What is your problem here?  You just made a "judgement" about people placing "emotional phrases" so aren't you just doing the same thing here you are fussing about?????

Respected Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

Once you start making your own homemade soups, you’ll never buy the prepared stuff. I’m retired now but when I was working, Sunday afternoons were cooking time. In September and October, I’d make a batch of soups, all of which were a meal unto themselves. I froze them and simply heated them up when I came home from work. Sometimes I’d serve with a salad but didn’t really have to. A great baguette would complete the meal. None of this was rocket science. I’m all for convenience but homemade is always best.

Couldn't agree more!  Soups are so simple and so nutritious when you do your own.  You control the fat, sodium, etc.  They freeze beautifully.  I also make extra stew, spaghetti sauce, chili, etc and freeze.  The only thing I don't freeze in my soups is pasta.  I only fix enough fresh to add to that meal.  That way the pasta isn't mushy.  You can also freeze your own mashed potatoes!

Frequent Contributor

I mistakenly bought several at $3.99 each.  Tried one and couldn't finish it. Barely took 2 bites. Had a foamy, weird taste.  i will probably throw them out because they don't appeal to me at all now.  

Contributor

No, My favorite is Ore-Ida Steam and mash potatoes, good!!

Honored Contributor

No, I haven’t seen them in my stores and I don’t purchase or eat processed foods.  Yuk!