Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone made vanilla ice cream in their Vitamix?

AN UPDATE TO MY MILKSHAKE POST

So I made my chocolate peanut butter milkshake and it came out pretty good!  I used some chocolate milk, some chocolate milk ice cubes, a few mini peanut butter cups and peanut butter from a jar (I was trying out the Whole Foods brand).  

I think next time I might add a small squirt of chocolate syrup and maybe a dash of vanilla extract to see how that would alter the taste.  All in all, I was happy with my snack.  It was so nice to make it at home and not spend a lot of money (my favorite chocolate milkshake is at Maggie Moo's and it costs 6 dollars).  And I know this wasn't a real chocolate milkshake because it had no ice cream in it, but I was satisfied.  Yay!

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

Here is a copy/paste from what I posted in the recipe section recently.  It is delicious and taste just like soft serve ice cream!!!

I can't eat dairy of any kind and I miss my ice cream so much.  I've perfected my simple recipe and it is pretty darn good.  I really wouldn't know it wasn't ice cream.  It makes on large bowl.

4 oz. almond, soy or coconut milk

vanilla (I just pour a little)

2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa 

1 tsp. Stevia Extract (granulated, measures like sugar)

7 oz. frozen banana chunks

Blend until smooth!  That's it!

I do top mine with sugar free chocolate syrup.

Honored Contributor

@mima wrote:

Here is a copy/paste from what I posted in the recipe section recently.  It is delicious and taste just like soft serve ice cream!!!

I can't eat dairy of any kind and I miss my ice cream so much.  I've perfected my simple recipe and it is pretty darn good.  I really wouldn't know it wasn't ice cream.  It makes on large bowl.

2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa 

@mima  Do you just slice and freeze regular bananas?  

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@mima wrote:

2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa 

@mima  Do you just slice and freeze regular bananas?  

@Laura14  Yes.  I cut them into about 1 or 2 inch chunks.  No particular size. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14  could you substitute the almond milk with a 1 percent or 2 percent milk? 

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp  I don't see why not.  I use almond because it's what I have in the house.  

@Snoopp wrote:

@Laura14  could you substitute the almond milk with a 1 percent or 2 percent milk? 

Honored Contributor

I like the variety made with whipping cream and condensed milk. It comes out GREAT!

Just google Vitamix condensed milk ice cream and there are lots of recipes.

Respected Contributor

I ran into a recipe for true chocolate gelato. It uses a Vitamix for the heating part of the recipe. Google "Intensely Rich Dark Chocolate Olive Oil Gelato." You'll find it. This is true Italian Gelato, made with egg yolk, etc and frozen in the freezer after you prepare the custard mix with the ingredients in the Vitamix. It's not frozen in the blender.

I have been making sorbets and frozen yogurt with berries and peaches. I did mixed berries, raspberries (a tad seedy) and peach same way:

1 cup frozen fruit

1 frozen peeled banana

six-eight ice cubes

cup of yogurt

a Tbs maple syrup ( you can use any sweetener you prefer)

Mix on frozen dessert, using plunger to push ingredients down and mix until you have the "clover leaf" pattern. 

Respected Contributor

I'm finding those green smoothies are filling (due to the air, I think) and I can drink one for breakfast or dinner and feel full. Very helpful. This IS the best kitchen thing I've bought yet. I use it constantly--even to beat foods for cooking (eggs, etc) or chopping. So fast.

I have another "recipe"--this is a "malted milk" and it's relatively low calorie.

1 cup of skim milk

Ice cubes

2 Tbs Milo powder (this is a powdered chocolate malt drink you find in the Spanish section, or you can use Ovaltine or Quik.) Milo tastes very good and is often less sweet. It's in a green can
optional 1/2 banana

Blend until frothy. It will taste like a chocolate malted shake. Since it's super cold from the ice, it tends to fill you up and stop hunger.

Calories:

124 from the Milo

86 Cal from the skim milk

50 calories if you use a banana

Total 260 or 210 calories without banana. 

If you add protein powder, it's a meal (adds approx 160 cal) so figure it's a 400 cal meal.

New Contributor

I just bought the new vitamix with the variable speeds and presets. Trying to make ice cream on the preset but no luck, just slushy. Tried the variable speed settings but still no luck. Any tips?