Trusted Contributor

Has anyone made vanilla ice cream in their Vitamix?

[ Edited ]

I watched a Vitamix demo today showing a peanut butter milkshake and it looked really good (I love peanut butter!).  This was the ingredient list from the Vitamix website for vanilla ice cream...

Ingredients

• 1 cup (240 ml) whole milk
  • 28 frozen whole milk ice cubes
  • 1 cup (120 g) powdered sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract (optional)

Has anyone ever made this before?  It seemed like a lot of sugar to me and I was wondering if I could cut that down.  I also don't drink whole milk and was wondering if you could do a lower fat percentage milk, if it would come out alright.  If anyone has made this please let me know how you liked it.  I think I would halve the recipe, as it's just for me.  

I also liked how the website talked about add-on's, specifically mint leaves.  I have a very bushy mint plant and am not really sure what do with it all.  I could add mint and some chocolate chips and make a chocolate chip mint milkshake.

Or make some chocolate milk ice cubes and add peanut butter to that.  

If you make milkshakes in your Vitamix I'd love to hear about it.  Thanks for reading. 

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Regular Contributor

Re: Has anyone made vanilla ice cream in their Vitamix?

I followed this recipe, my result was a very thick milkshake. No ice cream consistentcy.

I haven't used it but there us one in the vitamix recipe section that uses less sugar and 2% milk.  I believe it was the one used on the show today. 

Honored Contributor

Not ice cream, but as to your question about milkshakes - 

I have made the chocolate banana malted milkshake that is in my Vitamix cookbook.    I really love that one!   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I dont measure.  Dont use any added sugar.  just frozen fruit and ice cubes.  Makes like sherbert with plain ice cubes.  Make milk cubes, skim, whole whatever you like and make ice cream.  Forgot to say just a little liquid, maybe 1/2 cup.  Add liquid first.  I have the 48 ounce container. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks, super thanks....now I want a milk shake.  

The recipe could use less of the liquid because most household ice cube trays hold 1 ounce per cube.  You could use some jello pudding mix to firm it up, but I would bet that you let it run too much to melt....the ice too much.  The vitamix does heat this up very quickly, so pulsing may be better until it comes to, so there isn't that much heat at one time.  You could always add some ice nearer the end for it to firm up.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks everyone!  I've decided to try a chocolate peanut butter milkshake first.  My chocolate milk ice cubes are in mid-freeze.  I'll probably add some peanut butter cups for a little extra flavor.  I was in Aldi's over the weekend and bought some milk chocolate peanut butter cups in a little tub and they are fantastic.  I like them better than Trader Joe's milk chocolate peanut butter cups.  

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

Powdered sugar is not as dense as regular but still, that seems sweet. I try not to add sweetener to things.

You could try a frozen banana in that peanut butter smoothie. While it would change the taste, bananas are so sweet, it might add enough sweetening to make it taste great and not be overly sugary.

I liked the recipe. I too love peanut butter. I'm looking forward to making some in the Vitamix. Have to find a source of good, fresh peanuts as they are not cheap and often are stale in store. Our local Amish market made peanut butter but I think the vendor moved away. Fresh is the way to go. A tablespoon of peanut butter is a great snack if you are watching what you eat. I drink smoothies for breakfast, but when I get hungry at 10am because it didn't have enough protein, I have a spoon of peanut butter and I'm able to eat just a salad with chicken for lunch (no bread) and be quite full. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Campion  so right!  Bananas are perfect!  

If you really want to be healthy about it, this is what I do in my VItamix every morning:

1 cup of unsweetened almond milk

1 banana

1 teaspoon of baking cocoa (you can find it in the baking aisle, pure cocoa no sugar)

This works for a chocolate milkshake.  Add ice if you want thicker consistency.  

The highest calorie count in this is the banana.  If you use unsweetened almond milk, 30 calories a cup and a teaspoon of the baking cocoa is only 25 so all together probably a 150 calorie drink.  

I have also added a dash of peppermint extract from time to time if I felt like it.

And of course a tbsp of natural peanut butter makes it taste just like a peanut butter cup milkshake to me.   Ups the calories though so if you're watching, just be aware.  PB is not low cal even the good stuff.  

Honored Contributor

@Stargazer77 wrote:

Thanks everyone!  I've decided to try a chocolate peanut butter milkshake first.  My chocolate milk ice cubes are in mid-freeze.  I'll probably add some peanut butter cups for a little extra flavor.  I was in Aldi's over the weekend and bought some milk chocolate peanut butter cups in a little tub and they are fantastic.  I like them better than Trader Joe's milk chocolate peanut butter cups.  

@Stargazer77 Yum!!! Aldi's PB cups are good. I like them better then Reese's.

If you like peanut butter you could make it first & do your shake after. Makes it easier clean up after making nut butters. 

I put some vanilla frozen yogurt with fresh peaches in the Vitamix yesteday. Yum!!!