Super Contributor

Has anyone here baked using Coconut flour?

I bought some but I don't understand what the measuremnts are to replace white flour. anyone here used it? Thanks

Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone here baked using Coconut flour?

I have only used coconut flour as a dredge or in pancakes - not in any baked goods such as cupcakes.  I can tell you that it soaks up a lot of liquid.  If you're subbing it for another type of flour, I suggest starting with the recipe amount of "flour" and liquid then mix well and add liquid until it seems right.

Good luck! Wish I could be more helpful.

Honored Contributor

I have used it in cookies and use the same amount called for in the recipe.  I make chocolate chip/pecan/peanut butter oatmeal cookies.  (I know that is a mouthful but it is easy....add some chips, pecans and a tbsp of peanut butter to your oatmeal cookies). Here is my secret ingredient....instead of using the flour called for in the recipe.....I use half almond four and half toasted coconut granola (Trader Joe's).  These are my husband's favorite cookies.  

Honored Contributor

@darkhomespun wrote:

I bought some but I don't understand what the measuremnts are to replace white flour. anyone here used it? Thanks

@darkhomespun  I use coconut flour in some of my keto recipes.  It is not measured the same as traditional all purpose flour.  When using coconut flour, other ingredients need to be adjusted as well so it's not an even swap in a recipe and everything else stays the same.  You need to use recipes that specifically call for coconut flour.  Look up keto or low carb recipes for whatever it is you want to make; cookies, brownies, cakes, etc.  

Honored Contributor

I'm on a low carb diet and make killer pancakes using coconut flour! They are the best and pretty much taste like regular pancakes! 

"Pure Michigan"
Contributor

It's 1/3 cup of coconut flour to each cup of regular or almond flour, Plus, double the eggs.  You also may need more other liquids in the recipe.  I Always let the batter rest for 15 minutes to allow the coconut flour to absorb the eggs and liquids.  Coconut flour is Very, very thirsty.