Honored Contributor

Has anybody tried this new product ?

Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast®

I'm gonna see if Walmart carries it. On the Red Star website they act like it really makes a difference in bread, rolls, etc.

Super Contributor

Re: Has anybody tried this new product ?

Did anyone answer you, sharke? Have you tried it yet? I just bought a strip of these envelopes to try. I'm wondering what people's experiences with this yeast have been like. Does it work well in a bread machine? Thanks!
Trusted Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast®

I'm gonna see if Walmart carries it. On the Red Star website they act like it really makes a difference in bread, rolls, etc.

No, I haven't.

I would be curious to know how you like it if you've tried it.

A jar of yeast usually lasts quite awhile for me, as I primarily use it for making bread in my bread maker.

Respected Contributor

No, I haven't tried it because I can't find the brand in the grocery stores in my area....   I know that Christy Jordan from the Southern Plate website recommends it.   She had a bread recipe that I'm dying to try and it uses Red Star yeast..

Honored Contributor

Red Star yeast is in my opinion better then Fleischmann's.

Yes, I got a free sample of Platnium Yeast from Red Star. They told me it's only available in limited test markets at this time.

I ordered 2 --3 packs from Amazon it's pretty pricey, but, I'm a bread lover and bake for the church, so, I wanted only the best. It is really better and I hope they put it out everywhere in the future.

You can send them an email and ask if it is available in your area and they will tell you where you can buy it depending on where you live.

Closest city to me is Santa Fe, New Mexico ! I live in Amarillo, Tx, but, I'm going to vacation in Santa Fe soon, so, I'm going to hit the United Mkts. and pray they have some on the shelf where I will buy up a bunch of it.

Hope, they get on the ball and make it available every where like they do their regular Red Star yeast that is in envelopes and jar.

Trusted Contributor

According to the Red Star website, this platinum product has dough enhancers added.

I might suggest that if the price of this product is prohibitive-here's a tip.

Add some citric acid, ( a scraping from a Vit C tablet), or water that has had potatoes boiled in it to your yeast proof or sponge. This should help with a strong rise. Whole grain doughs are heavier, and benefit from an extra lift.

Honored Contributor

It's the shipping that kills you LOL

Worked out well for me I had ordered 2 /3 pack strips =6 packets

Somebody messed up and sent me another order , so, I ended up getting 12 !!!!!!!!!!!   Yay ! that's more like it

Honored Contributor

@Ruthie-Roo wrote:
Did anyone answer you, sharke? Have you tried it yet? I just bought a strip of these envelopes to try. I'm wondering what people's experiences with this yeast have been like. Does it work well in a bread machine? Thanks!

I haven't tried this new product and I don't have a bread machine. I use SAF yeast.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I'd need to take out a loan for it.  I buy yeast in a one pound container.   I'm not particular about the brand.   

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@debic wrote:

I'd need to take out a loan for it.  I buy yeast in a one pound container.   I'm not particular about the brand.   

Yeah, cost me 17 total ................ Good , though..........hopefully , I can find on shelf while on vacation and I'll buy what I can till I figure it will expire then just go back to jar Red Star rapid rise.