Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Has Anyone Used A Meal Delivery Service?

DD got a gift certificate for a meal delivery service for Christmas.  She said we need to decide what "we" want. 

I'm wondering how good the meals really are.

These meals are ready to heat and eat, no cooking involved.  I checked the website and it looks good but.............

This is called Top Chef.  Has anyone tried this company, or any other, for meal deliveries?

Respected Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Used A Meal Delivery Service?

I use Paleo to Go , that also offers auto immune food meals , it is very expensive and shipping is high also , but  to be fair it it comes in huge boxes with dry ice, I am only using until i can get my cooking and ingredients in line. There are a lot of high rated services , these are usually not for a person on strict budget. I don't know what  kind of gift amount you got , but you will pay the price for convience , but not getting out in these times  and weather it might be worth it.

Esteemed Contributor

My son used Freshly, he gave me a meal. I wasn't impressed. Frozen dinners from the supermarket are better and just in my freezer. 

Honored Contributor

When you look at how low in calories they are, it seems as if they are more of a lunch portion than a dinner plate. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Freshly was recommended to me.  It was ok but I prefer to cook my own food.  Since I am usually home by myself, I like to check out One Dish Kitchen on FB.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

We used to get Blue Apron frequently. The quality was excellent. The ingredients were so fresh, they were from a farm about an hour from our house. And the meals were delivered by an individual. He would pull up to the house about 3PM. I think they picked the vegetables that day. Every meal we ever had was a winner.

The meals requires some preparation. They were always so tasty. We really liked them and that is why we got them regularly. BUT then my son's work schedule changed. He doesn't get home until after 9 PM. So waiting until after 9:30 or 10:00 to eat just doesn't work.

We also got meals from Fresh Chef. The meals required less preparation but they didn't stand out as much as the Blue Apron.

Hope you like Top Chef.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think either of us are expecting "holy cow, that's great" meals.

We have never had the desire to try a service but being it's a gift certificate, well, we'll give it a shot.

We have a couple of great restaurants near us and DD works in a city with a ton of good ones. We can get great meals for $10 each and there is enough for us to have lunch the next day. I know the cost of convenience from delivery services is high.

Contributor

We are using a service that is a little bit different, Daily Harvest.  It is all organic fruits and vegetable in the form of smoothies, harvest bowls, oat bowls, and a few other options.  I have always found the most labor intensive aspect to healthy eating is the prep involved for vegies and we end up with a certain amount of waste.  With Daily Havest everything arrives frozen and is surprising fresh.  My husband is very picky but we both love the selection and quality.  We do add lean protein each day-usually a grilled chicken breast or fish from Costco but that is so much easier than all the prep that goes into making salads and vegie sides.  My husband has lost 20 lbs. and I have lost 15 in a little over a month and we both feel so much better.  It is expensive but we sat down and went over what we were spending on food since the pandemic and it's not much more.  The cost of food has really gone up in our part of the country.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I have recently used Hello Fresh for the 2 of us in our house. The vegetables are fresh, and what’s nice is they send the exact amount you will neeed based on the number of meals you pay for. I got a discount code and it was around $55 for 3 days of dinners, which I didn’t think was too bad. 

Respected Contributor

My son also bought the Freshly and he liked it very much.  You order what you want but you get the same meals every week.  He thought the turkey dinner was great.  They give you just enough.  We Americans eat too much at our meals and this would be great for losing weight.  Realize how much Nutri-System costs and they aren't large enough to fill you up.