Honored Contributor

Has Anyone Been Dipping Pretzels in Chocolate?

[ Edited ]

Everyone is absolutely nuts over the pretzels I dip in vanilla  flavored white chocolate.

I get the chocolate (Make and Mold), at A G Moore crafts and it's yummy!  If you're not there at Thanksgiving, good luck!

Image result for make and mold candy wafers

I finally went out this morning to get the only bow shaped pretzels here (at Publix) came home and started dipping.  Holy smoke!  The chocolate is so thick!  I have had to temper every bag with oil to thin it!   Grrrrrrrrrrr........If our son, DIL, and the little grandsons didn't rush to see where these are...............

Anyone else have cooking problems this holiday?

Respected Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Been Dipping Pretzels in Chocolate?

My daughter makes the mini pretzels dipped in chocolate for me because that is all I ask for on Christmas. All I know is that she uses nestle chips white & brown. She is coming over today with them and I am waiting. I love those things. 

Honored Contributor

not my cup of tea that or dipped strawberries either.

Enjoy !

Honored Contributor

I made chocolate covered pretzel rods this year as I usually do, but I didn't make as many as before.  I usually wrap them up three to a pack in Christmas cellophane, but they are in a rubbermade container with waxed paper between them right now.  I only made chocolate this year and decorated with white chocolate.  The white chocolate is always the last to go anyway.

Yes, I had a cooking problem.  My oven must be running too hot.  I burnt a tray of 12 chocolate chip cookies on the bottoms and they were still raw in the middle.  I checked on them after 8 minutes.  I had to turn the oven temp down and bake all of my cookies in less time than the recipe called for.

I only made 7 kinds of cookies this year and only one batch of each.  I have cut way back, much to my husband's disappointment.

Honored Contributor

I like dipped pretzels, but do not make anything like this for the holiday.   The only dessert I’m making is dirt cake.   I made fudge for my trucker daughter, and what she didn’t take on the road with her was given away.  

Respected Contributor

I love those things! Send me some. Now that you have reminded me I have to go make some.

Frequent Contributor

I have heard you could add a little shortening to the chocolate for a smoother consistency 

Honored Contributor

Shortening is the same as adding oil to the chocolate.  You can also add paraffin.  It will keep the chocolate from melting to fast and gives a glossy finish to the finished product.

Honored Contributor

@Still babybecky wrote:

I have heard you could add a little shortening to the chocolate for a smoother consistency 

@Still babybeckyThank you.  That's true.  I taught Foods and Adv Foods which was in the major where I concentrated in design as well as chemistry.

Respected Contributor

I just don't think eating wax is a very good idea. I use to make Buckeye's and really started to think about what wax could do to your health..