Hard boiled eggs in pressure cooker

Any idea how many eggs to water ratio you use on the Cooks Essentials 6 quart electric pressure cooker. I know there is a setting but no instructions 

Honored Contributor

Re: Hard boiled eggs in pressure cooker

Interested- is there an advantage to fixing hard cooked eggs in the pressure cooker?

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

Interested- is there an advantage to fixing hard cooked eggs in the pressure cooker?

I think they are suppose to be really easy to peel.  Not sure of any other advantages.  I've never did it.

If you go to Facebook and search for the Instant Pot group, you can then search boiled eggs and get lots of tips.

Honored Contributor

Cup of water 

i usually 8-10 eggs for 6 minutes on steam 

Respected Contributor

If peeling and avoiding green is the objective, I've never had problems using the method developed and tested by the Cook's Magazine folks, provided it's followed exactly (although I've gotten away with very cold water instead of an ice bath at the end, but the timing must be followed).

THE PERFECT BOILED EGG

Published May 1, 2010. From Cook's Illustrated.

Producing a hard-cooked egg with a uniformly moist yolk and tender white
can be a challenge even for an experienced cook. The method we developed 11 years ago is still the best we’ve tried, yielding consistent results with minimal effort and no guesswork. Best of all, since our approach cooks the eggs with residual and ever-decreasing heat, it is virtually impossible to overcook them.

This method will work for up to 1 dozen eggs as long as you put them in the saucepan in a single layer.

1. Place the eggs in a saucepan in a single layer and cover with 1 inch water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove the pan from the heat, cover, and let sit 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, fill a bowl halfway with cold water and ice cubes. Transfer the eggs to the ice-water bath with a slotted spoon and let sit 5 minutes. Peel and use as desired.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't need to watch them

and they peel amazing

@violann

it's the only way I do HB eggs now

Honored Contributor

Since I've been doing mine a la @noodleann I've had exactly zero problems, and easier than draggin' out the ol' PC!

Honored Contributor

I've found the secret to having easy-to-peel hard cooked eggs is to use eggs that are not very fresh... At least a week old.   I've had plenty of failures using the simmer,  put in ice cold water method with fresh eggs. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I used my Instantpot for hard boiled eggs for the first time this week. So easy and they came out great. I did five minutes plus a five minute slow release, then placed in cold water. I'm not going back Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Since using the pressure cooker for eggs I've said I'll buy another pressure cooker if this one dies JUST for eggs if need be.  I won't do them any other way -- same with boiling potatoes!! 

No  need to watch and babysit a pan on the stove and no more boilovers.  Eggs come out perfect everytime and peel easy even using fresh eggs.  I don't always plan my hard boiled eggs a week in advance.