Valued Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Danky2 wrote:

Put eggs in cold water......bring to a boil and immediately turn off heat and cover. 
15 minutes later you have hard boiled eggs with no green between white and yolk,

I have TONS of fresh eggs and the chickens lay about 30 a day. 

WOW @Danky2 .....what do you do with all of those eggs? 

do you eat a lot of them, sell them, or give them away?

Hi Sunshine45.....

when my husband was alive we ate a lot of them......I am not a big egg eater

My children help themselves, friends can come over and take what they want and , if 

I have any left, I put them at the end of my street with a sign saying organic eggs take me.....I cannot take credit for taking care of them....I have a "farmhand" named Larry 

who lives on the property and takes care of the goats, rabbits, turkeys,ducks and the chickens ( plus my 3 German Shepards). I don't know what I would do without him!!

!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Hard boiled eggs AGAIN

[ Edited ]

I've found by far the easiest way to make a hard "boiled" egg is not to boil it at all.  I put it in my air fryer (on a silicone mat I use in the bottom), add NO water and cook at 270 for 15 minutes.  I then place in cold water to cool off before peeling. My husband also likes to eat a soft boiled egg so I do the same procedure except only cook 7 minutes at 270.  Perfect every time. 

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Searched the old notes and will give it the old college try next time.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it fights to the death!!  So I saw the note about that woman who showed how to do it.  I think I can use this one thing I have to steam them.  They were even fresh eggs she used.  So once again I'll try.  This has to almost be one of the great questions and events of life.  Uggggggggghhhhhhhh.  Drives me nuts.  Short drive right?  LOL

I remember years ago Rachel Ray showed how she made hard boiled eggs.  She said it was fool proof and worked every time.  Maybe just google it?  I've never made it her way but she sounded pretty sure of herself.

Honored Contributor

I just use a steamer insert in my current pans.  Then I don't have an extra appliance sitting around, too much stuff in this kitchen now.  Every time DH comes into the kitchen he manages to knock something off the counter.  I tell him just pretend there is a vertical plane at the edge.  Doesn't work.  Clunk.

Honored Contributor

The best thing about steaming them, other than they always peel, is that you don't have to mess with all of that hot water!  

But then there's no steam facial over the sink either!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Danky2 wrote:

Put eggs in cold water......bring to a boil and immediately turn off heat and cover. 
15 minutes later you have hard boiled eggs with no green between white and yolk,

This is what I do, but I only leave them in the water for 7 minutes.  They then go into an ice bath for about 5 minutes, then immediately peeled.  I don't usually have a problem peeling with this method, but every once in a while I do.  I have no idea why.

Valued Contributor

Re: Hard boiled eggs AGAIN

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Danky2 wrote:

This is what I do, but I only leave them in the water for 7 minutes.  They then go into an ice bath for about 5 minutes, then immediately peeled.  I don't usually have a problem peeling with this method, but every once in a while I do.  I have no idea why.

The older the eggs the easiest they are to peel...my fresh from the hens are very difficult to peel. I leave them on the counter for a week or so (unwashed) and then stick what I use in the fridge.......use oldest ones first.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Searched the old notes and will give it the old college try next time.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it fights to the death!!  So I saw the note about that woman who showed how to do it.  I think I can use this one thing I have to steam them.  They were even fresh eggs she used.  So once again I'll try.  This has to almost be one of the great questions and events of life.  Uggggggggghhhhhhhh.  Drives me nuts.  Short drive right?  LOL

@qualitygal  Use an Instant Pot! 5-5-5 method. It cooks them perfectly every single time, and the shells slide right off! 🥚🎉

Respected Contributor
I cook mine in my little Curtis Stone perfect pot. Ever since I started doing this following directions in booklet that came with it, I have not had any eggs with a green ring around yolk. Rarely have trouble pealing them under running cold water as soon as finish cooking.