Respected Contributor

Hard Anodized Cookware v.s. Hard Aluminum Anodized

I am ordering a new set of Rachael Ray’s Cookware.  I want to know if there is a big difference between the hard anodized or hard anodized aluminum.  My dilemma is I also need the Agave Blue color & not the blue which is the aluminum set.  Is the aluminum part that much of a difference?  TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: Hard Anodized Cookware v.s. Hard Aluminum Anodized

Aluminum would be a lot lighter and probably heat faster.  I can't do hard anodized because it's so heavy.  Those blues sound amazing!  Congrats on your purchase.  

Honored Contributor

Wish I knew the answer and could help you.  If I were you I would google them and that way you will get the facts and not what someone thinks.  Good luck

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

As I understand it all "hard anodized" cookware is aluminum.

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie, I already did google it but still not sure if the higher priced aluminum is a deal maker for me.  @Laura14, I agree on the lighter aspect, thanks!

Respected Contributor

@Sooner,  I thought that too until I googled it.  There are definitely two concepts; with or without aluminum.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

As I understand it all "hard anodized" cookware is aluminum.

That has been my understanding, as well.

I have a number of ha pieces and it's just the ONLY way to cook with aluminum.  Just plain aluminum is a poor choice.  Much of the reason for that is it over-conducts the heat.   Usually the plain aluminum, like the porcelain/enamel coated stuff you see on shopping channels is just cheap, thin junk.

Honored Contributor

And there are some health related questions with plain aluminum too. 

Contributor

I do not know about her cookware, but I have the Calphalon, the origina, now called classic, and I love it.  I don't like their newer stuff, including the non-stick.  However, I was given what I think was the best advice when I was setting up my kitchen.  DO NOT buy an entire set of anything.  No one makes a set that does everything well.  Buy acording to function.  Hence, I have Le Crueset dutch ovens and skillets, but I think it isn't great for to saute.  Hence, I use the Calphalon.  I do have a non-stick for eggs and pancakes.

THeir original is stick resistent, which I see as the best of both.  The stick resistent is absolutely more than adaquate, and it browns wonderfully.  I do not put it or the Le Crueset int he dishwasher, ever.  There is simply no need.  ANd, if my husband does over do something, add water, boil, and it comes off.  

I have a Calphalon stock pot that I picked up super cheap, and I hardly ever use it, as I use the dutch ovens.

I use Elfa shelving to create a pantry area in our small condo kitchen.  THe pots hang from the shelving.

You really need to think about what you cook.  Make a list.  What o you cook the most often, and purchase pans to support your cooking style.  Don't purchase a set because it is cheap, and to have everything match.  Purchase to own pieces you use.