Respected Contributor

Hanukah and Christmas Eve together?

well, I had one Jewish parent and one Christian (from Texas, no less) and even I dont ever rmember this! but this is how I celebrated!latkesand tamales.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Hanukah and Christmas Eve together?

Image result for merry christmas and Happy Hanukkha gif

My Son in Law is the same.  Appears our (someday) grandchildren will, too!

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

Sorry, I really DO know how to spell Hanukkah! It wont let me change it now...

Trusted Contributor

Those latkes look fabulous, @MothertruckerSmiley Very Happy

I love them served with some apple sauce!

Happy Hannukah and Merry Christmas to those who celebrate both in their homes! Heart

Respected Contributor

Mothertrucker, however you want to spell it is acceptable: the Hebrew alphabet is totally different and there is really no perfect way to transliteration it.  Yesterday I heard a cute song on a Jewish radio station about it. The song was sung by an adult, but it's through the eyes of a grade school child who is wondering how to spell it: for some it's "h", for others it's "ch" and a Spanish friend says no- of course it begins with "J" ( in Spanish, "J" has the hard h sound".Smiley Happy

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

@Mothertrucker the latkes look absolutely fabulous! And I'm a gentile.

@Poodlepet2 Happy Hanukkah! 

Respected Contributor

You know what? I love my faith because what other religion demands that you eat fried food for seven days and get drunk once a year (Purim)?

BUT, there are no laws saying latkes have to be made from potatoes.....You gave me a great idea Mothertrucker!  I am making some Texmex chicken chilli with fried corn cakes-and if anybody wants to top off those corn cakes with some spicy salsa and a dab of sour cream, they are welcomed to do so!

I'm taking the easy way out and using Jiffy corn muffin mix for the family: For me, I'm going to splurge on a little corn-something I don't normally have...thanks for the inspiring idea!

Poodlepet2

Occasional Contributor

Potato cakes and tamales...yummy!