Valued Contributor

Have not been in a grocery store in a month, so I went out today. Forgot to put on list ready made pie crust. Had chocolate pie planned, so I tackled my homemade crust. Have not made one in years. How many remember the pretty young mother that sold the big round plastic dough disc with 2 pastry cloths? She made the most beutiful pie doughs and dumplings in her demonstrations. Do not remember if David was on at that time or not or if it was Bob. I got that out and used it for my dough and it makes it so easy. Do not know why I rely so much on store bought doughs. Think it is time to whip up some dumplings on that thing.

Honored Contributor

Re: Had to make a pie crust.

I have one of those things, never used.  I recently saw them advertised somewhere.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@nomarlol   not quite the same thing,  but every once in a while I reminisce about the year+ that I made all our bread.  I did use a Cuisinart to mix lots of the doughs, but that was the only machine involved.

And now?    I buy an interesting loaf of bakery bread about every 6 weeks.  So lazy!

Honored Contributor

@nomar wrote:

Have not been in a grocery store in a month, so I went out today. Forgot to put on list ready made pie crust. Had chocolate pie planned, so I tackled my homemade crust. Have not made one in years. How many remember the pretty young mother that sold the big round plastic dough disc with 2 pastry cloths? She made the most beutiful pie doughs and dumplings in her demonstrations. Do not remember if David was on at that time or not or if it was Bob. I got that out and used it for my dough and it makes it so easy. Do not know why I rely so much on store bought doughs. Think it is time to whip up some dumplings on that thing.

I had one of those, I don't know what became of it.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I remember it because I have it. I don't make my own crust anymore, but I do use it to it to enlarge the premade Pillsbury rounds the couple of times of the year that I make pie.

Frequent Contributor

I bought mine years ago, I think when they had that tour of the 50 states' products. I use mine all the time, just this week to make pizza dough. Whenever I make a recipe that requires a floured surface, I get my dough disc out of the pantry! Lost 1 of the covers somewhere, lol. 

Respected Contributor

@nomar wrote:

Is that the one that has an elasticize oval "slipcover" that you flour lightly and roll the dough on? If so, I've had one for decades and wouldn't make pie crust or sugar cookies without it. It's so easy! 

Valued Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

@nomar wrote:

Is that the one that has an elasticize oval "slipcover" that you flour lightly and roll the dough on? If so, I've had one for decades and wouldn't make pie crust or sugar cookies without it. It's so easy! 

Mine are round "slipcover" elastic covers and they really do work once floured. I wonder if the lady sold out to a company like so many of those 50 state show people did. It was fun back then when they had shows like that. I bet yours is the same as mine.

Honored Contributor

I got a round and the longer board for bread I guess. Don't use any more

got a marble slab from a tile company with handles recessed on the side made into the slab. Woman custom ordered it then never came and got it he made me a deal on it .Inch or so thick sitting on the counter. Cold smooth surface good item.