Honored Contributor

Had Unbelievable Salmon Tonight!

Running errands today meant Sam's Club was included.  

I bought a side of schui grade salmon which DH grilled.  I've never had salmon that good, even in a restaurant!

I buy sockeye salmon in the grocery store, frozen.  The Sam's salmon wasn't frozen.

Honored Contributor

Re: Had Unbelievable Salmon Tonight!

I'm at a loss.  What's schui grade salmon?  

@ECBG wrote:

I bought a side of schui grade salmon which DH grilled.  I've never had salmon that good, even in a restaurant!

I buy sockeye salmon in the grocery store, frozen.  The Sam's salmon wasn't frozen.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Glad to hear it was good. The only thing that concerns me about that is that it's farm raised, and I've heard some pretty awful things about farm raised salmon. I always check the label and buy only wild caught Alaskan . 
Eta..also, freezing the salmon kills the parasites that most fish have a certain amount of.

Honored Contributor

Last week a good friend of mine stopped by and handed me a huge fresh-caught native rainbow trout. At first when I looked at it I thought it was a salmon. The meat was so pink I couldn't believe it. It was the best tasting trout I have ever eaten...even better than some salmon I've had. The best part was that it was wild and came from a natural mountain lake. So delicious!

Trusted Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I'm at a loss.  What's schui grade salmon?  

@ECBG wrote:

@tansy Maybe she meant sushi.

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Everything I've  read lately about seafood claims that frozen is safer and fresher than the so-called "fresh" unfrozen type, which is usually previously frozen,  then thawed out and displayed for sale.

It makes sense.  Fish frozen quickly right after being caught has to be better than fish shipped  unfrozen over long distances or "previously frozen and thawed out", which is what we see at most grocery store fish counters.

I'm committed to buying frozen fish, always, and usually at Costco as a reliable supplier of good-quality and sustainably farmed or caught seafood.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Found this photo of schui salmon on the internet..... I think the OP might indeed have referred to a salmon used for sushi.  The fish's color has some connection to  a color preferred in Feng Shui decor, but not sure about that.

Image result for Schui Salmon

Valued Contributor

@ECBG 

Sounds super yummy!  This makes me wish I had a grill.   

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 

Very interesting!  I don't have a clue as to what I had!Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

I agree. I've been buying fish at Costco for the last year. But since the Spring, their fish has been smelly, with a bit of a fishy taste. I recently had to throw out a $27 piece and some stuffed salmon that I bought from their ready-made area. I also have a Sam's Club membership but it is further away. I stopped about 2 months ago and bought this salmon, not realizing it was sushi grade. It was fantastic and the best fish I have had in ages. I stopped back the next time I was in the area and bought some more for my freezer. There is absolutely no smell or fishy taste and it is delicious!