Trusted Contributor

Grocery stores (or supermarkets) common in your area

This was spurred by the asking if you say grocery or super market. What grocery stores are common in your area & where are you located?

I'm in a NW suburb of Chicago, an hour out of the city. We have Aldi, Mariano's, Meijer, Jewel-Osco, Trader Joe's, Caputo's, & Whole Foods. Caputo's is not part of a large chain, it's a small local grocery store (4 that I know of) We had Food4Less but some of the stores closed recently, I don't know if there are any left since I hadn't set foot in on for years. (too expensive unless you purchased only their loss leaders)

Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery stores (or supermarkets) common in your area

I'm in suburban Philadelphia, in PA (not NJ). We have Giant, ShopRite, Acme, Pathmark, Safeway, Wegmans, Whole Foods, The Fresh Market, Trader Joe's, Aldi, Costco, and of course big box grocery stores like Target and Walmart. Feel lucky to live in such a competitive area.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/4/2015 ValuSkr said:

I'm in suburban Philadelphia, in PA (not NJ). We have Giant, ShopRite, Acme, Pathmark, Safeway, Wegmans, Whole Foods, The Fresh Market, Trader Joe's, Aldi, Costco, and of course big box grocery stores like Target and Walmart. Feel lucky to live in such a competitive area.

I do too, ValuSkr. I forgot to mention Walmart & Target. There are Fresh Markets & Wegmans in the area, but none near where I live. The closest ones are 30-45 minutes away. When I have multiple stores I can choose from that are 20 minutes or less from where I live, I'm not driving 30 minutes to go grocery shopping.

Honored Contributor

I'm in East Tennessee. We have Kroger, Publix, Food City, Fresh Market, Earth Fare, Trader Joe's, Walmart and Target. There are probably others, but these are all I can think of right now.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I live across the floating bridge from Seattle. We have Safeway, Albertsons, QVC/Fred Meyers (both Krogers), Whole Foods, Haggen, Uwajimaya, Trader Joe's, Costco, Central Market, Metropolitan Market (local), PCC (local coop and all organic). I shop mostly at Metropolitan Market and Costco (like to support the locals businesses).

Esteemed Contributor

Kroger, walmart, , meijer, target, sams, costco
Respected Contributor

I spend half the year in the Southwest Suburb of Chicago and I have the same stores (other than Caputos which I hear is really good) as the OP.

The other half of the year we spend in a fairly remote part of Arizona. We have Safeway, Frys and Wal-Mart. If I travel 45-60 minutes I can hit Trader Joes and Sprouts and the occasional Albertson's. Absolutely no ethnic stores that I can get back home in the Chicagoland area.

Honored Contributor

We don't have many big chains because OK does not allow wine sales in grocery stores. We have Whole Foods, Homeland, Sprouts, and a local chain Crest (which has the biggest and nicest stores). Not much here in the way of variety. Of course WalMart and Target are here, and a few Buy-For-Less but they aren't very nice.

Honored Contributor

Maryland area ......we have GIANT (i shop here the most), MARS (this is a local chain and i try to shop here as much as possible), SUPERFRESH, SHOP-RITE, The Fresh Market (expensive, but this one is a favorite of mine!), SAFEWAY, Wegmans, Trader Joes, Sams Club/Costco/BJs, Whole Foods (not yet in my area, but coming soon).

we dont allow sales of alcohol of any kind in grocery or convenience stores. alcohol is sold at liquor stores or by restaurants who have a packaged goods license.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Here in southern WV, we have Wal-Mart, Kroger, Sav-a-Lot, Food City, and Sam's Club. The grocery store I prefer, is independently owned by someone local, and there are 5 stores within 50 miles.