Contributor

Re: Grocery stores (or supermarkets) common in your area

New Orleans checking in: Winn Dixie, (Wal-Mart/Target) and then mostly small chains like Fresh Market, which currently isn't very close, but that's beside the point. The rest are mostly local Mom & Pops or very small local chains.

Honored Contributor

On 1/4/2015 sunshine45 said:
On 1/4/2015 moonchilde said:

In Socal: Albertson's, Ralphs, Vons/Pavilions, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Stater Brothers, Sprouts, Jon's, Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club, Food 4 Less, Super King Market (Hispanic), Smart & Final, Mitsuwa and Marukai (Japanese), India Sweets and Spices (Indian). All have multiple stores.

one of the best parts of SoCal are all of the large ethnic grocery stores that have fantastic fresh merchandise, especially fruits and vegetables at reasonable prices. for example, a bunch of parsley at vons may cost 99 cents. i can buy 4 bunches of parsley at some of my favorite ethnic stores for the same price!

I love going to the Indian groceries, and the Japanese (never forget the day they were serving "octopus b a l l s." All kinds of fun stuff to browse.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

On 1/4/2015 05gage25 said:

In the Cincinnati area there is a couple of Jungle Jim's.....huge.....over 200,000 square feet. They have everything imaginable....international foods, cheeses I have never even heard of, 1000's of different labels of wines, 1,200 different beers and everything American grocery that you would want. It is really an all day adventure to go there. Check it out at junglejims.com. Maybe a two or three times a year trip.....too big to shop at each week...for me anyway.{#emotions_dlg.blush}

I've seen that on TV. What a fun day out that would be!

Super Contributor

Kroger, Walmart, Costco, Target, Sam ' s Club, Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Aldi, and Trader Joe ' s in 2016 hopefully. Kroger, Target & Walmart are about 15 minutes from my house.......The others are 30 minutes or more away...
Honored Contributor

In Socal: Albertson's, Ralphs, Vons/Pavilions, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Stater Brothers, Sprouts, Jon's, Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club, Food 4 Less, Super King Market (Hispanic), Smart & Final, Mitsuwa and Marukai (Japanese), India Sweets and Spices (Indian). All have multiple stores.

one of the best parts of SoCal are all of the large ethnic grocery stores that have fantastic fresh merchandise, especially fruits and vegetables at reasonable prices. for example, a bunch of parsley at vons may cost 99 cents. i can buy 4 bunches of parsley at some of my favorite ethnic stores for the same price!

I love going to the Indian groceries, and the Japanese (never forget the day they were serving "octopus b a l l s." All kinds of fun stuff to browse.

most of the time i go to the middle eastern or the mexican stores....but i should check out the indian and the japanese stores also! i agree that browsing is part of the fun.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I'm in Columbus OH - home of THE BUCKEYES!!!! who - what - BEAT down 'bama.

Sorry, I digress....anyway I just got home from Aldi's. Holy cow, was it packed! I've never been there when it was that busy. Then I had to get a couple of things I can't get at Aldi's so I went to Giant Eagle, one of 2 really expensive grocer, Kroger's. But then we have pricey places like Whole Fds & Lucky's (they're new). Of course there's Anderson's General Store too, Trader Joe's (haven't been yet), Meijer's, Costco, Sam's Warehouse (haven't been to either of these 2 either), Walmart's Marc's too.

There's a lot here but my #1 is Aldi's.

Trusted Contributor

North Idaho here,closest store is Safeway 15 miles away.
Respected Contributor

On 1/4/2015 05gage25 said:

In the Cincinnati area there is a couple of Jungle Jim's.....huge.....over 200,000 square feet. They have everything imaginable....international foods, cheeses I have never even heard of, 1000's of different labels of wines, 1,200 different beers and everything American grocery that you would want. It is really an all day adventure to go there. Check it out at junglejims.com. Maybe a two or three times a year trip.....too big to shop at each week...for me anyway.{#emotions_dlg.blush}

{#emotions_dlg.wub}{#emotions_dlg.tt1}

If Jungle Jim's doesn't have it, you don't need it.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

most of the time i go to the middle eastern or the mexican stores....but i should check out the indian and the japanese stores also! i agree that browsing is part of the fun.

I live in the midst of Tehrangeles, so I should go to the grocery stores there, if only to pick up ice cream! I keep saying "one day" - but PARKING! I have a Mexican market within walking distance that gets rave reviews. Doesn't look so hot from the outside ;-(

Honored Contributor

Shopping for one with a very small freezer, Costco is pretty much out for me. Occasionally I'm in a Walmart and think about shopping, but I'm usually also going somewhere else so worry about cold/frozen food. No Walmarts actually close to me that have large food sections.