Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery stores (or supermarkets) common in your area

On 1/4/2015 halfpint said:

30 miles east of LA. Albertsons, Vons which is being bought out by Haggen I believe. Don't know when the change starts. Food 4 Less, STATER Bros., Walmart. Cosco-Sams too far. Smart and Final also to name the big ones.

Albertson's bought Vons (Safeway) in July 2014. I haven't seen any changes because of it. I have two Albertson's, a Vons and a Ralphs near me. I used to shop at Ralphs exclusively. Now I am split 60/40 between Vons and Albertson's for a full grocery, but shop more at TJ's than either of them.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Winn Dixie (4) Albertson (1), Rouses (2) Piggly Wiggly (1).

Rouses is a local New Orleans grocery. Our Piggly Wiggly is very small and local. We have had others, but several chains have closed.

There is WalMart, of course, but I don't go there. And our Target recently enlarged and added a grocery section. We recently added Sams. Good for large quantities, but there are only two of us.

We do have a Fresh Market - beautiful store and it's a pleasure just to breathe them in. But I rarely go there because I hate getting on the Interstate. Love it when someone else drives, though.

Honored Contributor

just standard ones here

Walmart super store is #1 in our area,

Food Lion,Acme, Super G.

there are others but have to drive 25-30 miles to get to other stores

Honored Contributor

Wal-Mart, Sam's, Festival Foods, Aldi, Woodmans, Copps, Piggly Wiggly
Valued Contributor

In the Cincinnati area there is a couple of Jungle Jim's.....huge.....over 200,000 square feet. They have everything imaginable....international foods, cheeses I have never even heard of, 1000's of different labels of wines, 1,200 different beers and everything American grocery that you would want. It is really an all day adventure to go there. Check it out at junglejims.com. Maybe a two or three times a year trip.....too big to shop at each week...for me anyway.{#emotions_dlg.blush}

Contributor

Market Basket (aka Demoulas) Walmart, Target, Stop and Shop and Shaws....all are about 20min from my house

Respected Contributor

I live in the rural south of Georgia. In my hometown, we have an IGA (Jay's the local owner) and what was a Food Lion and is now a Harvey's when they were bought out. They are supposed to get a WalMart Neighborhood Market next to the General Dollar but I'm not sure how long they will have enough customers to keep it open. In my somewhat larger town, we have a Super WalMart, two Harvey's grocery stores, a Save a Lot (very small), and a very small IGA. We did have a WinDixie but it closed. The new rumor is that we will get a Publix, but I doubt that. Our local jobs are mainly minimum wage or a bit above. We don't qualify for a Chic-Fil-A and other stores that base their development upon the local economy.

Honored Contributor

On 1/4/2015 moonchilde said:

In Socal: Albertson's, Ralphs, Vons/Pavilions, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Stater Brothers, Sprouts, Jon's, Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club, Food 4 Less, Super King Market (Hispanic), Smart & Final, Mitsuwa and Marukai (Japanese), India Sweets and Spices (Indian). All have multiple stores.

one of the best parts of SoCal are all of the large ethnic grocery stores that have fantastic fresh merchandise, especially fruits and vegetables at reasonable prices. for example, a bunch of parsley at vons may cost 99 cents. i can buy 4 bunches of parsley at some of my favorite ethnic stores for the same price!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

I love north of Boston. We have:

* Market Basket/DeMoulas

* Stop & Shop

* Shaw's/Star

* Trader Joe's

* Whole Foods

* Wal-Mart

* Target

* Costco

* Wegman's (new to the area)

Ethnic

* Super 88 (Chinese/Asian)

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in the western suburbs of New Orleans and we have Winn Dixie, Rouse's, Whole Foods, Sam's, Walmart, Target, Robert's, Breaux Mart, and Target. There are smaller ethnic markets, but don't really remember the names of those. Oh, and there's a Costco in town. Still waiting for a Trader Joes......

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett