Esteemed Contributor

Re: Grocery stores (or supermarkets) common in your area

I live outside of Pittsburg Pa. and we have Giant Eagle stores, Aldi. Super Walmart, Sams, and then when you drive about 50 miles I go to Whole Foods, Trader Joes and a Co Op that I like too, we had Bottom Dollar here but Aldi bought them and is going to close them.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

North Central Ohio here, and our major players are Walmart, Kroger, Meijer. I see people here talk about Whole Foods and Trader Joe's and we don't have those.

We also have Aldi's Sam's Club (no Costco for about 70 miles).

In Ohio's major cities, there are Giant Eagle, Whole Foods and some others that are national, we just don't get them within about 70 miles of where we are located.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/4/2015 Gooday said:

I spend half the year in the Southwest Suburb of Chicago and I have the same stores (other than Caputos which I hear is really good) as the OP.

The other half of the year we spend in a fairly remote part of Arizona. We have Safeway, Frys and Wal-Mart. If I travel 45-60 minutes I can hit Trader Joes and Sprouts and the occasional Albertson's. Absolutely no ethnic stores that I can get back home in the Chicagoland area.

I love Caputo's, I live near enough to one to walk to it. I go to Costco maybe every 3 weeks & in that time, I run out of peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, & salad greens. I go to Caputo's in between the Costco shopping trips to get produce that I run out of.

Super Contributor

Giant. Our local store is new and has a huge organic section, a great café, and sells beer!

Honored Contributor

In Socal: Albertson's, Ralphs, Vons/Pavilions, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Stater Brothers, Sprouts, Jon's, Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club, Food 4 Less, Super King Market (Hispanic), Smart & Final, Mitsuwa and Marukai (Japanese), India Sweets and Spices (Indian). All have multiple stores.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Publix big time here. DH does almost all grocery shopping and that's where he usually goes. When he comes home with two of something, it's a BOGO deal. They have them all the time.

Contributor

In Vermont we have Price Chopper,Hannafords,Shaws,Trader Joes,Healthy Living,Costco,Macs Market.
Respected Contributor

Within a 10 minute drive I have 2 Pathmarks, 2 Stop and Shops, Shoprite, Trader Joes, Target and Costco as well as dozens of smaller markets. I live in one of the boroughs of NYC.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Contributor

I live 35 miles south of Albany NY. Locally we have Price Chopper, Hannaford, Shop-Rite, Aldi and Walmart super center. Within a 35 min. drive we have Guido's (specialty market with expensive but wonderful grass fed meats and great quality fish etc.), Whole Foods (pricey), Trader Joe's, BJ's and Sam's Club. We also have some small food co-ops. My favorite locally is a new Price Chopper and in Albany Trader Joe's.
Esteemed Contributor

30 miles east of LA. Albertsons, Vons which is being bought out by Haggen I believe. Don't know when the change starts. Food 4 Less, STATER Bros., Walmart. Cosco-Sams too far. Smart and Final also to name the big ones.