Esteemed Contributor

Grocery Shopping - Yay or Nay?

Does this ever happen to you?  Today I stopped by Trader Joe's, since I was in the area, to get oatmeal.  $50 later, I'm at the checkout, and laughing to myself as the checker asks me if I found everything I was looking for.  Oh yes, I did, thank you!

I didn't buy any impulse items (except for frozen black bean enchiladas that they had samples out for and were delicious; good for nights when I don't want to cook or have something in the freezer that I have cooked), but nothing I bought was an immediate need and nothing will go to waste, but most of the items I already had at home.

I admit it, I love grocery stores and grocery shopping.  Love to see whats new, and try new things.  Most of my friends hate grocery shopping, but I love it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery Shopping - Yay or Nay?

Hate to grocery shop.

Esteemed Contributor

@Caligurll I am a coupon Queen, so I love grocery shopping to see what the grand total of savings for each trip is, my best so far is $98.64 in savings at Target, that excites me, and NO I do not have much of a life, LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@Caligurll I am a coupon Queen, so I love grocery shopping to see what the grand total of savings for each trip is, my best so far is $98.64 in savings at Target, that excites me, and NO I do not have much of a life, LOL!

WOW!  I am very impressed!  I have a Target debit card and I am very happy with my 5% discount.  Unfortunately, I'm not organized enough to use coupons effectively.  They are usually at home while I'm at the grocery store/Target, @CareBears

Esteemed Contributor

@Caligurll You do know about their Cartwheel program don't you?

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, when I remember to use it, @CareBears!

Esteemed Contributor

@Caligurll That is where your savings really start to add up!  We just downloaded the app on our phone and away we save!

Honored Contributor

Grocery shopping has lost its thrill for me.  Part of it is coming up with a meal plan and a list though.  Back 90 million years when I was a newlywed, I loved the whole process except for putting the groceries away.

Super Contributor

@tansy, I totally agree!

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Grocery shopping has lost its thrill for me.  Part of it is coming up with a meal plan and a list though.  Back 90 million years when I was a newlywed, I loved the whole process except for putting the groceries away.

@tansy I keep hoping it will lose the thrill for me, but so far not so much.  I haven't met a grocery store yet that I haven't found something to love about it.

If I go into a store for one item I will go up and down most of the isles.  For me there is no such thing as running in for one item--must search/explore entire store.