Honored Contributor

Re: Groceries order and pick up?

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@FlowerBear wrote:

So how has it gone for anyone that has ordered grocerys online and then picked them up?

I always wonder about this cuz I would think:

will they make sure no eggs are broken?

will they get meat that is lean and not full of fat?

will they check expiration dates?

will they get frozen and dairy from the back not right from the front?

LOL so guess I wont use be doing this!

I used the delivery service once.  It was raining that day and I received all my groceries soaking wet, and I don't mean a light sprinkle. 

I have grocery shopped many times in the rain and have never had my groceries this wet.  I ordered a bag of sugar and it was so wet I tossed it in the trash. 

I haven't used the pickup service and have no desire.  Apparently, not many use it because the store's parking lot is still packed with cars and people are shopping inside the store. 

As far as the pickup service, how does a 16 year old know how to pick out fresh produce?  Sometimes it takes me awhile to find fresh produce.  I doubt they care about picking out the freshest loaf of bread either.  

I've noticed the grocery stores in my area are doing away with cashier's and having customers check out their own groceries. Sorry, if I wanted a job being a cashier, I would get one.  

Don't like companies forcing their new procedures down my throat.  Therefore, not having someone shop for me, and not being my own cashier. 

Our Shoprite does not use 16 year olds to fill the shop at home orders...

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I think I would prefer doing the shopping myself and then having it delivered.  I guess the topic here is a time saver--having the store pick it out and then going to pick it up--but to me the hard part is schlepping the stuff from the store to my apartment so that's the procedure I would opt for.

@kaydee50 - that's what my in-laws do.

Honored Contributor

I've used Wal-Mart's pick-up service almost 2 years and have been very pleased with it.  The produce I get is better than what I see in the produce department.  Never had a broken egg or expired dairy.  My only complaint is, now that Blue Bell Ice Cream is back on the the shelves, there's no way to specify a flavor.  You get vanilla or rocky road, and that's not what I want.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@FlowerBear

I picked up my first order today from Walmart. I ordered last night & selected noon-1pm today for pickup. I downloaded the Walmart app for my phone. As I left work on my lunch hour I accessed the app & let them know I was on the way. I arrived and in minutes the young lady was bringing my groceries out. Everything was exactly as I ordered. She had me inspect all the produce. I was a little worried about what produce they would pick out but everything looked perfect. And she even packed the produce together, the frozen items together, health & beauty together, etc.. She had my bag of potato chips separate so they didn’t get smashed. I received a free Walmart cloth shoppping bag as well as a gift bag full of samples. I went home & put everything away & had plenty of time to get back to work. I couldn’t be more pleased with this service & plan on using it again. I still probably won’t order meat as I do like to pick that out myself & I usually don’t buy meat at Walmart anyhow. Right now they also had a $10 discount on my first 3 online pickup orders so I saved time & $10 on this order.

Esteemed Contributor

I can see this service being a huge deal for the elderly who can't drive to the grocery store or for someone who is disabled and may have the same problem. For the rest of us, I really don't understand why a person would use this service. I'm 70 but am also fully able to drive to the grocery store and do my own shopping, and wouldn't consider asking the grocery store to do it for me. Is there a need for this for some people? Of course, but I'll get out and do it on my own until I'm no longer able to! JMO.

Honored Contributor

You can check your order before you accept something broken or out of date.

I've had good luck but I don't do it very often.

@FlowerBear

Valued Contributor

I LOVE this service!!!  I've been using it for a few months and am saving money.  I go to the store website and look at the ad.  Then I start composing my list. 

Once I had 1 broken egg out of 18 and once they forgot my deli cheese.  Since then I hop out of the car and talk to the shopper while they load.  The only meat I really get is burger.  I mainly get my meat at sams.

Pick up is so handy.  Cat litter, cases of water, etc.  I just love it.  Never had any bad produce. 

I admit, I've become quite lazy.  I order household items from amazon.  Food from the grocery pickup, clothes from Penney's QVC, HSN, amazon. 

I would be very happy if I never set foot in a store again.

Respected Contributor

My thoughts exactly !

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love it and use it semi-regularly at Walnart Marketplace (we switch off with Publix and Aldi).  Started out buying staples and had no problems.

Later on, tried fresh veggies and they were wonderful!  I think I read somewhere (or heard from an associate??} that they choose veggies from the back storeroom, not from the storefront which is why they're crazy fresh.

Not crazy about Walmart fresh meat, so we pass on that,

They make sure we approve of substitutions, or wll take them off the bill.

Denise
Trusted Contributor

I use the delivery service from Tom Thumb religiously. I am caring for my elderly mother, and don't usually have the time to be away from home for a few hours to shop -- I can do that when the part-time caregiver is here, but Mom can't be left alone too much. I love the online ordering and delivery -- have had very few problems and they were resolved quickly.

I did try the Walmart pickup once -- I'm not a Walmart customer but they had flavors of soup that I couldn't find anywhere else, so I made out a small order and did the pickup. All went well  Will shop them again but not regularly.

I think these services are great for caregivers, elderly, disabled, or whenever you're sick and really shoudn't be wandering around people or food, if you have guests coming, are having a party, or just have a busy schedule -- either service is a big help!