Respected Contributor

Groceries order and pick up?

[ Edited ]

So how has it gone for anyone that has ordered grocerys online and then picked them up?

I always wonder about this cuz I would think:

will they make sure no eggs are broken?

will they get meat that is lean and not full of fat?

will they check expiration dates?

will they get frozen and dairy from the back not right from the front?

LOL so guess I wont use be doing this!

Respected Contributor

Re: Groceries order and pick up?

I use my store’s pick up service all the time. None of these things has ever crossed my mind.
Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

So how has it gone for anyone that has ordered grocerys online and then picked them up?

I use it all the time. Walmart and Sams too. I picked up 1/2 dozen eggs this week and there was one cracked egg. DH didn’t check the eggs when putting in car. Other than that, no problems. Love the service.

Respected Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

I used the delivery service once.  It was raining that day and I received all my groceries soaking wet, and I don't mean a light sprinkle. 

I have grocery shopped many times in the rain and have never had my groceries this wet.  I ordered a bag of sugar and it was so wet I tossed it in the trash. 

I haven't used the pickup service and have no desire.  Apparently, not many use it because the store's parking lot is still packed with cars and people are shopping inside the store. 

As far as the pickup service, how does a 16 year old know how to pick out fresh produce?  Sometimes it takes me awhile to find fresh produce.  I doubt they care about picking out the freshest loaf of bread either.  

I've noticed the grocery stores in my area are doing away with cashier's and having customers check out their own groceries. Sorry, if I wanted a job being a cashier, I would get one.  

Don't like companies forcing their new procedures down my throat.  Therefore, not having someone shop for me, and not being my own cashier. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FlowerBear

I've used Walmart's pick-up service and use Shop Rite from Home delivery. I am very satisfied with both. I do include a note with every order stating:

"Please select the latest possible best by/sell by dates for all items"

Since I don't eat red meat often, I really have not had an issue with "fatty" meat (I order chicken breast/fish/turkey, so no "fat" issues). I've never received broken eggs. I did get a carton of milk one time that expired 2 days after I received it. I contact the store and they refunded my money and delivered a new carton to me the next day.

Cindy

Honored Contributor

The pickup service is offered here in the western wa area but the stores are no where near where I live, so not a huge timesaver for me. I do order my groceries from Safeway/Albertsons to be delivered which is so much better for me so I don't need to haul in the heavy stuff.

Respected Contributor

I live with a teenage boy. I rarely have a problem with food not being used before it goes bad.
Honored Contributor

I think I would prefer doing the shopping myself and then having it delivered.  I guess the topic here is a time saver--having the store pick it out and then going to pick it up--but to me the hard part is schlepping the stuff from the store to my apartment so that's the procedure I would opt for.

Regular Contributor

I've used Walmart's order online and pick up grocery service several times - just yesterday in fact!  On one occasion, I ordered several fresh zucchini.  When the order was brought to my car, the Walmart associate explained to me that they've been instructed, "if it's not something you'd be satisfied with yourself, don't put it in the order."  That day, she said all of the zucchini were unacceptable - marked up and gouged - she she chose not to include the zucchini in the order rather than take one that was less than fresh.  I was good with that.  

The cold items are kept in a cooler after they are pulled until they are delivered, the frozen items are kept in a freezer until brough tot the car.  

I've never ordered meat (ground beef, fresh chicken, etc.) so I can't speak to that.  I do order deli meats and cheeses - and they are fresh.  

Respected Contributor

I haven't used the service because I'd rather pick my produce and meats. Most of the order pickers in our stores are older. But I do see more teenagers in Walmart.