Trusted Contributor

Re: Groceries order and pick up?

Actually, one of the men I work with told me that his wife LOVES this service. She is home with 3-4 small kids (depending on who is in school) and this is a real life saver for her to get what they need and not have to bring all the kids into the store. He has also said that the produce was great and they will continue to use this service - regardless of the weather!

Valued Contributor

I was just talking about this today and friend said she tried it. She only got necessities Ike paper towel, toilet paper toothpaste body wash etc. said it was the best experience and picked up on the way home from work. If the don’t have quantity of product you want the will ask if you will substitute and charge lesser amount. I think I may try it soon.

by the way this was Walmart. 

Honored Contributor

I have ordered from Walmart, but had it sent to my home.  Free shipping.  I don't order produce or items that need to be refrigerated--I can get those on my own at another store.  I mainly order because a couple of items that I use a lot of are cheaper there.  I wish these services were available when my mother was living alone and ill and my children were small.  I was running around shopping almost daily.   (I also shop at Target with their regular ordering or their restock.  Free shipping at Target too.)

Valued Contributor

I love the pick up/delivery service, all of our local grocery stores offer this service.  What I have found is how huge of a price difference between same items from store to store.  I have loaded same items from each store into my on-line cart and done a cost comparison between the stores, I was very surprised how much of a price difference between Walmart and all the other stores, it was about a $20 difference. Walmart is my now go to for grocery shopping, but, I buy my meat from a butcher.

I buy 3 dozen Jumbo eggs at a time and only once did I feel that the expiration date was not acceptable to me, so I called the 1-800 # and they credited my account and aimed to please.  Another time I bought a $10 item and they substituted with another item that I was not fond of.  I called cs and they said that they do not pick the item back up, they told me to keep the item and refunded me the cost of the item... so who can argue with that.  I am very impressed with their grocery delivery/pick up and customer service.

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Trusted Contributor

You have listed most of the reasons why I have not used Grocery Order.  When my kids were young it would have been very helpful but now they are old enough to stay home while I shop.

Additionally - I just don't like the idea of someone else picking out my fruit, vegetables or meat for me.  What if I ask for Bannanas but all of the ones on the shelf are too ripe for my taste, then I am stuck with them.  If I was in the store myself, I could just pass on by.

Trusted Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
I live with a teenage boy. I rarely have a problem with food not being used before it goes bad.

LOL I can totally relate.  Just bought a 3 lb package of Blueberries on Sunday.  As soon as my teen spots them on the counter they are all gone.  Literally his eyes light up and he snags the entire package.  At least he is eating something healthy.  I still have 3 more than aren't teens yet so my fridge will be empty for awhile.

Honored Contributor

I also use my grocery store's pick up.  I order on line and drive up and they load it in my car.  

I've done it many times.  Recently, some of the cold items were left in the frig at the store.  I called the store and it was delivered to my house right away.

I always post 'no substitutes' so they end up calling asking questions about something.  Doesn't bother me because I am very specific about what I want.

Here's an example.  I like my Deli have 'shaved' (very, very thin).  I make sure I post how I want it when ordering.

Sometimes they are out of an item and they enclose a rain check for the item.  If I want a substitute often they include it for free.

I shop at Harris Teeter.  They are mainly on the East Coast (I think).  I know they aren't in Colorado because my daughter lives there and I sent her a gift  certificate and she said, "thanks but I can't use it".

Harris Teeter delivers to people's houses but not in my area.

Giant Food is another store on the East Coast that also delivers to houses.  I was just looking at their website today but I wanted something today and I'd have to wait until tomorrow.

My daughter orders food all of the time from Amazon.  She said it gets expensive but saves her time.  She gets the item within 1 to 2 hours!  Now that's what I like.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@FlowerBear wrote:

So how has it gone for anyone that has ordered grocerys online and then picked them up?

I always wonder about this cuz I would think:

will they make sure no eggs are broken?

will they get meat that is lean and not full of fat?

will they check expiration dates?

will they get frozen and dairy from the back not right from the front?

LOL so guess I wont use be doing this!

I used the delivery service once.  It was raining that day and I received all my groceries soaking wet, and I don't mean a light sprinkle. 

I have grocery shopped many times in the rain and have never had my groceries this wet.  I ordered a bag of sugar and it was so wet I tossed it in the trash. 

I haven't used the pickup service and have no desire.  Apparently, not many use it because the store's parking lot is still packed with cars and people are shopping inside the store. 

As far as the pickup service, how does a 16 year old know how to pick out fresh produce?  Sometimes it takes me awhile to find fresh produce.  I doubt they care about picking out the freshest loaf of bread either.  

I've noticed the grocery stores in my area are doing away with cashier's and having customers check out their own groceries. Sorry, if I wanted a job being a cashier, I would get one.  

Don't like companies forcing their new procedures down my throat.  Therefore, not having someone shop for me, and not being my own cashier. 

Our Shoprite does not use 16 year olds to fill the shop at home orders...

Our Shoprite is the same. I have only seen middle aged women filling the grocery orders. And there are always 5 or more women filling orders each time I go to the grocery. And they have a huge area just filled with orders to be delivered. They must have it down to a science to fill that many orders.

Honored Contributor

Our Shop rite is like that. No 16 year olds picking groceries. Also no self check.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would love to but Mr. Bear loves to grocery shop

go figure

but I do like to try my grapes before buying 

I think it might also cut down on all that impulse stuff I buy like chocolate 

but it's great that there is that option for those who need it,