Super Contributor

So I've never had lobster tails.  I've had lobster raviolis and dishes made with lobster in them, but never like the tails.  My husband got sucked into the recent TSV and said to order them, so I did.  I boiled them on the first try and they did not come out of the shell like they showed.  I ended up having to cut it open with scissors (ugh) and their poor little feet were coming off.  I was so upset I was crying.  I just felt so bad.  I can't look at them in the grocery store because I find it upsetting.  Anyway, I thought he was going to cook them on the grill and I ended up boiling them.  I don't know if I did something wrong, but out of six there was not one that just pulled out like the presentation.  I still have another entire bag to use so if you had good luck with cooking these and getting them out of their shell, please share.

Honored Contributor

@bcherry01 - Did you follow the instructions to make sure you fully defrosted them before boiling?  I don't know which size you got, but the large (6 to 7 oz.) lobster tails should be boiled for 7 minutes, no longer.  And they need to be put straight into already boiling water.

I've eaten a lot of lobster in my time and I've never had any trouble removing the tail meat (or any other part for that matter).  And no need to use scissors.

If you can't pull the tail out in one piece, simply press the two sides of the tail together towards the middle until the soft underside cracks.  You can then remove it in one piece.

Super Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@bcherry01 - Did you follow the instructions to make sure you fully defrosted them before boiling?  I don't know which size you got, but the large (6 to 7 oz.) lobster tails should be boiled for 7 minutes, no longer.  And they need to be put straight into already boiling water.

I've eaten a lot of lobster in my time and I've never had any trouble removing the tail meat (or any other part for that matter).  And no need to use scissors.

If you can't pull the tail out in one piece, simply press the two sides of the tail together towards the middle until the soft underside cracks.  You can then remove it in one piece.

I got the 12 4 oz size.  I followed the directions to a T. 

Honored Contributor

@bcherry01 - In that case, contact Greenhead Lobster and ask them what they suggest.  They should be able to help you.