Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,296
Registered: ‎01-08-2011

Green Beans! Gosh They're A Basic!!!

For the past few years, my regular grocery store has been carrying a fresh green bean which is very thin.  I tried them, and after rewarmed the next mile they tasted like they were store canned to me.  Yuck!  yuck!  yuck!

 

I love "pole" green beans.  They reheat and are yummy (to me) every time!  I made a special trip to Publix tonight mafter dinner, and they had those thin ones!  I'm going to have to go to work early tomorrow and try to get them at the Farmer's Market.  Good grief, it's just a green bean, but a staple on southern tables!!!

 

Image result for pole beans images

 

I never liked "greasy cut shorts, because of all the beans, not the green part.

 

https://www.grow-it-organically.com/green-bean-varieties.html

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,239
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Green Beans! Gosh They're A Basic!!!


@ECBG wrote:

For the past few years, my regular grocery store has been carrying a fresh green bean which is very thin.  I tried them, and after rewarmed the next mile they tasted like they were store canned to me.  Yuck!  yuck!  yuck!

 

I love "pole" green beans.  They reheat and are yummy (to me) every time!  I made a special trip to Publix tonight mafter dinner, and they had those thin ones!  I'm going to have to go to work early tomorrow and try to get them at the Farmer's Market.  Good grief, it's just a green bean, but a staple on southern tables!!!

 

Image result for pole beans images

 

I never liked "greasy cut shorts, because of all the beans, not the green part.

 

https://www.grow-it-organically.com/green-bean-varieties.html


@ECBG   I don't understand about the warming them for a mile nor the greasy cut shorts.  

 

The bean pictured is a green summer bush bean although it is a pole bean but the round cylindrical bean is a filet bean.

Super Contributor
Posts: 302
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Green Beans! Gosh They're A Basic!!!

Oh green beans, my most favorite veggie!

 

I cannot wait until this summer to buy locally grown, organic ones which are raised on a local farm.  They are positively the best ones I have ever had.  I sometimes cook them in beef broth with sautéed onion and uncured turkey bacon.  

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 108
Registered: ‎03-26-2017

Re: Green Beans! Gosh They're A Basic!!!

Beautiful picture, however, fresh green beans, pole beans are a summer crop. If you find them in the store they are most likely from Mexico. I'm a farmer's market shopper, we know what is seasonally available and what is not. Unlike the grocery store that has things year round.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,296
Registered: ‎01-08-2011

Re: Green Beans! Gosh They're A Basic!!!


@4kitties wrote:

Oh green beans, my most favorite veggie!

 

I cannot wait until this summer to buy locally grown, organic ones which are raised on a local farm.  They are positively the best ones I have ever had.  I sometimes cook them in beef broth with sautéed onion and uncured turkey bacon.  


@4kitties Your post just reminded me that, years ago I had fresh green beans cooked in chicken broth and they were good!  

 

Thank you!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,296
Registered: ‎01-08-2011

Re: Green Beans! Gosh They're A Basic!!!


@marchingalong123 wrote:

Beautiful picture, however, fresh green beans, pole beans are a summer crop. If you find them in the store they are most likely from Mexico. I'm a farmer's market shopper, we know what is seasonally available and what is not. Unlike the grocery store that has things year round.


@marchingalong123 In the south, pole beans were always available.  They've gone to this thin local one and I loved the taste of the other.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 35,430
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Green Beans! Gosh They're A Basic!!!

@ECBG    Maybe it's a seasonal thing and the skinny beans are what can be grown this time of year.  The pole beans are probably a summer-time thing and will appear as we get well into summer.  Ask a farmer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor
Posts: 161
Registered: ‎08-17-2014

Re: Green Beans! Gosh They're A Basic!!!

I like to sauté onion in a little oil, add some diced ham to heat it and then add the green beans with chicken broth and some seasoned salt. Occasionally I add diced new potatoes. It is delicious!!!

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,669
Registered: ‎06-08-2016

Re: Green Beans! Gosh They're A Basic!!!

A good canned substitute for fresh is Double Luck.   I drain all the water and replace it with my filtered water.     I add black pepper and a dab of vegetable shortening.   Everyone here in the south will add bacon or other animal meat/fat but I want to taste the green beans.   The vegetable shortening makes the beans tender without adding a flavor.     I very gently boil for at least 15 minutes or more, replacing water if necessary.   This method removes the "can" taste.    Other brands don't come close.   

 

Fresh beans are best but you have to know what you're buying.    Some beans have a thicker shell than others, and require more cooking.   I prefer almost raw, when it comes to fresh.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,900
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Green Beans! Gosh They're A Basic!!!

Love green beans and the very best way to cook them is in a pressure cooker---takes just 2 minutes and OMG--tender yet still crisp and a beautiful green. I can put them on a veg platter and you would be amazed at the reactions of others who try them with dips. I put garlic in with them, maybe a jalapeno pepper  or peeper flakes, some lemon or dill and WOW.