Respected Contributor

Re: Green Beans! Gosh They're A Basic!!!

@wagirl    Ooooh ... that sound tasty.  Pressure cooker technique and your seasonings are right up my avenue.  

Thanks for sharing this.  I will definitely be trying this soon--possibly for an Easter dinner side if the supermarket has any decent fresh green beans at a reasonable price.

Honored Contributor

I found beautiful half runners at the Farmer's Market 5 minutes from work. At least these will be yummy for a few days!

I always send several days of leftovers home with DS. He had holiday meal leftovers for several days and he's not about to change.

Also, it helps them out since they lost their home to fire a month after Christmas losing everything.
Honored Contributor

My favorite bush bean is a Blue Lake; nice tender green pods, small bean, and they need about 55 days to mature.  These are best in a quick cook method.

Kentucky Wonders are my favorite pole beans; tougher pod, bigger bean, and 65+ days to mature.  This bean needs seasoning, and a longer cook time.  

April is too early to find a tasty fresh green bean for Easter dinner here in southern WV.  Canned or frozen is what most of us settle for, until late May when some NC grown beans started showing up in our one local market.

Honored Contributor

For the "skinny" beans, there is a great copycat recipe Firebird's signature spiced green beans with pecans.  Delicious!  I made this for church family benevolence a few years ago and now (when someone dies that we make food for), they ask me to make these.  Very quick and easy and oh, so delicious.  Go to Copycat for a better recipe but you can see how they look here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH4Q-2KyGR4

Esteemed Contributor

Fresh green beans, I like to boil with a slice of bacon just until tender with a little snap.

With canned green beans, I saute with evoo, and a few dabs of Worcestershire sauce abd soy sauce 'tl on the browned side.

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

My favorite bush bean is a Blue Lake; nice tender green pods, small bean, and they need about 55 days to mature.  These are best in a quick cook method.

Kentucky Wonders are my favorite pole beans; tougher pod, bigger bean, and 65+ days to mature.  This bean needs seasoning, and a longer cook time.  

April is too early to find a tasty fresh green bean for Easter dinner here in southern WV.  Canned or frozen is what most of us settle for, until late May when some NC grown beans started showing up in our one local market.

I grew up on Kentucky Wonder beans.  They are the best.  I haven't seen them in 40 years.  Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@KrissyE wrote:

I like to sauté onion in a little oil, add some diced ham to heat it and then add the green beans with chicken broth and some seasoned salt. Occasionally I add diced new potatoes. It is delicious!!!

Growing up my mother used to make this; however, a ham shank was cooked for a couple hours and then about two to three hours before dinner she'd lower the heat and add chunky diced potato and green beans; fresh if they were in season or from the can if not.  It cooked pretty much all day.  The bean about fell apart; never any  tender crisp beans in our house! 

To this day when I go to a restaurant I don't like my my veggies tender crisp - I tell them to double steam my broccoli, carrots and green beans if they are fresh.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

For the past few years, my regular grocery store has been carrying a fresh green bean which is very thin.  I tried them, and after rewarmed the next mile they tasted like they were store canned to me.  Yuck!  yuck!  yuck!

I love "pole" green beans.  They reheat and are yummy (to me) every time!  I made a special trip to Publix tonight mafter dinner, and they had those thin ones!  I'm going to have to go to work early tomorrow and try to get them at the Farmer's Market.  Good grief, it's just a green bean, but a staple on southern tables!!!

Image result for pole beans images

I never liked "greasy cut shorts, because of all the beans, not the green part.

https://www.grow-it-organically.com/green-bean-varieties.html

@ECBG   I don't understand about the warming them for a mile nor the greasy cut shorts.  

The bean pictured is a green summer bush bean although it is a pole bean but the round cylindrical bean is a filet bean.

@Nonametoday Sorry to take so long in getting back.

I had a typo.  When I rewarm the store's usual bean (for the last few years) they taste canned.  I don't think "rewarmed" made it in the other post.  Sorry. 

The half runners were good.  Our grandsons, 13 and 7 ate like crazy.

We rewarmed tonight and they were wonderful.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

For the past few years, my regular grocery store has been carrying a fresh green bean which is very thin.  I tried them, and after rewarmed the next mile they tasted like they were store canned to me.  Yuck!  yuck!  yuck!

I love "pole" green beans.  They reheat and are yummy (to me) every time!  I made a special trip to Publix tonight mafter dinner, and they had those thin ones!  I'm going to have to go to work early tomorrow and try to get them at the Farmer's Market.  Good grief, it's just a green bean, but a staple on southern tables!!!

Image result for pole beans images

I never liked "greasy cut shorts, because of all the beans, not the green part.

https://www.grow-it-organically.com/green-bean-varieties.html

@ECBG   I don't understand about the warming them for a mile nor the greasy cut shorts.  

The bean pictured is a green summer bush bean although it is a pole bean but the round cylindrical bean is a filet bean.

@Nonametoday Sorry to take so long in getting back.

I had a typo.  When I rewarm the store's usual bean (for the last few years) they taste canned.  I don't think "rewarmed" made it in the other post.  Sorry. 

The half runners were good.  Our grandsons, 13 and 7 ate like crazy.

We rewarmed tonight and they were wonderful.

@ECBG   If you are buying beans cooked from a store deli and you rewarm them at home and they have a canned taste, you can bet your bottom dollar --- they probably were.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday Totally agree!  I don't buy any green beans unless they're fresh (unless it's for WW soup, then I use frozen French green beans).