Valued Contributor

Re: Greek Zucchini meatballs with Feta Cheese and DIll

These meatballs sound WONDERFUL! I can not wait to try them. Thank you so much for sharing, Adore!

Respected Contributor

On 2/3/2015 RespectLife said:

Oh yum! Thank you for posting. Can't wait to try these since I LOVE zucchini and LOVE feta! So cool...a meatball recipe w/ no meat!

Adore...I've been meaning to ask you...do you have a favorite Baklava recipe? I have never tried making it myself...have many recipes I have found...but no recipes that someone recommends and loves.

My dear departed BIL was Greek. I miss him terribly...he died a couple years ago WAY before his time. I had always wanted to make him Baklava...but sadly never did.

I would love a recipe you swear by, if you don't mind? Thank you!

Respected Contributor

Hi RespectLife,

So very sorry to hear of the loss of your dear BIl. May he rest in peace.

Here is the Greek Baklava recipe, especially for you I always go back to among a few others.

I think I will also post it in the Kitchen Talk Category so anyone of our QVC pals can also enjoy making it if they so desire.

My Favorite Greek Baklava Recipe:

Ingredients:

1 lb cleaned English walnuts
1 lb of phyllo dough
1 cup of butter, melted (if pressed for time can microwave the butter, but watch it)
1/3 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/3 teaspoon of ground clove

Syrup:

1 cup of water
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of honey
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cinnamon stick
Optional: If you have Rose Water handy (comes in a bottle) add a few drops.

Oven Directions:

Set the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and use an inside oven thermometer to gauge the correct oven temperature, because many times ovens are not calibrated so the temp you set is not the temperature inside of the oven. (That is where an oven thermometer you hang on the oven rack, comes in very handy).

Thawing The Phyllo Dough:

Thaw the phyllo dough overnight in the refrigerator.

Processing The Cleaned Walnuts For The Baklava Greek Walnut Filling:

Finely process the walnuts until very coarse but not into a powder. You must see very tiny bits of walnuts in the mixture and you can use your food processor very carefully and slowly pule in very short bursts to achieve this, or if no food processor then place cleaned shell walnuts into a zip lock baggie and pound t o crush the walnuts with a rolling pin, or hand held meat pounder.

Add the sugar and cinnamon into the walnut mixture and combine well.

About Using Phyllo Dough Sheets:

When using phyllo dough it dries out quickly, so place a clean positioned moist tea towel or moist slightly wet but wrung out pretty well Bounty towel over the phyllo dough sheets so it remains moist and does not dry out before you finish layering the Baklava phyllo sheets.

Pre-Cutting Phyllo Dough Sheets:

My Recommendation is if need be pre-cut your phyllo dough sheets to fit your baking pan, or use a smaller pan and adjust recipe accordingly, to suit your personal needs.

If you need to pre cut your phyllo sheets to fit your baking pan exactly turn your baking pan over and measure the length and width of the inside. (If the phyllo sheets tear it is not a catastrophe, just cut a small piece of another sheet to mend and cover gently with melted butter).

Layering The Baklava In Your 9X13 Baking Pan:

Lightly use a pastry brush and spread melted butter on the bottom and sides of a 9x13 pan.

Carefully place your first phyllo sheet into your buttered 9X13 baking pan, pressing it into the pan gently so it adheres to the already brushed melted butter on sides and bottom of your pan.

Using your pastry brush carefully spread some melted butter by dotting here and there. (Do not add too much butter, do not butter the entire phyllo sheet.)

Use one hand to hold the phyllo down gently, and the other hand to carefully butter the phyllo sheet.

Continue layering the pan with two more sheets of phyllo dough, dotting each sheet with the melted butter. This will be done as you go along adding the walnut filling, in between the 2 buttered phyllo sheets).

Continue to repeat until the walnut mixture is used.

How To Properly Score The Greek Baklava Before Baking Using 2 Scoring Methods:

For Diamond Pattern Scoring:

Using your very sharp knife, make one slice almost to the bottom of the pan but not cutting into the last few layers of the phyllo dough. Cut from corner to corner. Continue cutting, criss-crossing until you have a bunch of diagonal pieces.

For Square Pattern Scoring:

You can also cut regular squares according to the serving sizes you prefer to serve.

Fancy Square Pattern Cut and Scored Diagonally In Half:

If you wish to get a little fancy cut each square diagonally in half. (That also makes for a very attractive serving and presentation).

Place 1 piece of clove directly in the middle of each scored Baklava piece.

Baking The Greek Baklava:

Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes, or until lightly golden brown and edges appear slightly crisp. DO NOT OVER BAKE AND WATCH CAREFULLY!

Place Baked Greek Baklava On Stove Top , Score Completely Through, & Add The Hot Syrup:

Cut completely through the Greek Baklava following the pattern you used before you placed it in the hot oven to bake. (Doing this now ensures it will not break apart when taking it out to serve).

Reheat the syrup if need be so it is hot. Now drench the Greek Baklava with the syrup until it is well soaked.

Leave on stove top uncovered for about four hours so it sets.

Serving The Baklava:

Serve at Room Temperature covered well for maximum of 5 days. (Ours never lasts that long).

Freezing Greek Baklava:

You can freeze it in serving pieces in heavy duty aluminum foil sealed well, and then placed inside of a freezer bag with air removed with your hand before sealing. (We never freeze any foods baked with Phyllo Dough because we do not like the texture, or taste of baked frozen Greek Baklava, and we especially dislike any type of baked frozen phyllo dough food, but if it merits freezing do so at your own discretion.)

Freeze Any Leftover Phyllo Dough:

Leftover Phyllo can be rolled again in their packaging and then placed in aluminum foil and sealed well to prevent air entering. Then place in the original box type container, and freeze again for another use.

RespectLife I hope you enjoy making this Greek Baklava Recipe, and I hope my QVC pals who make this also enjoy it.

Enclosed below are some scoring patterns to use:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cut into squares then each square was diagonally cut in half

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cut into a Diamond Pattern

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cut into Squares Pattern

Respected Contributor

On 2/3/2015 LoLa said:

These meatballs sound WONDERFUL! I can not wait to try them. Thank you so much for sharing, Adore!

Hi LoLa,

We really hope that you enjoy it, and you are so very welcome!

Honored Contributor

Again, Adore, thank you, thank you, thank you! It looks incredible!

Your time and thoughtfulness is MUCH appreciated!!

Respected Contributor

On 2/4/2015 RespectLife said:

Again, Adore, thank you, thank you, thank you! It looks incredible!

Your time and thoughtfulness is MUCH appreciated!!

My pleasure RespectLife enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!

Contributor

Thank you for sharing your recipes. I have to try them. I'm not Greek but I am Italian and my I eat meditteranean. My grandfather owned an Italian restaurant. I definitely am trying the meatballs. Thank you again.
Respected Contributor

On 2/5/2015 italian baker said: Thank you for sharing your recipes. I have to try them. I'm not Greek but I am Italian and my I eat meditteranean. My grandfather owned an Italian restaurant. I definitely am trying the meatballs. Thank you again.

Hi italian baker,

You are very welcome.

Our cultures have very similar tastes.

I hope you try both recipes I posted.

I believe you and your family will really enjoy them.

Super Contributor

Love the sound of this recipe. One of my favorite zucchini recipes zucchini crab cakes to use up all that zucchini. Thank you for sharing.

Respected Contributor

On 2/7/2015 chips said:

Love the sound of this recipe. One of my favorite zucchini recipes zucchini crab cakes to use up all that zucchini. Thank you for sharing.

You're very welcome chips, enjoy!