Respected Contributor

Greek Zucchini meatballs with Feta Cheese and DIll

For all my QVC pals who love Greek Recipes.....enjoy!
Phillip and I made Greek meatballs with Zucchini, Feta Cheese and Dill earlier for company dinner.

We also served then with Greek Lamb Souvlaki on pita bread, and a tossed Greek Villager Salad with Greek Kalamata Olives and Greek imported anchovies.

Our Greek and American company all raved about them, and yes everything was really worth the effort, because they did ask for the recipe.

I already posted the Greek pork or chicken Souvlaki recipe on this site, so just substitute lamb meat, or use with chicken or pork your choice.

Greek meatballs with Zucchini, Feta, and Dill:

Makes about 12 meatballs (I doubled the recipe for company)

Ingredients:

1 1/3 lbs zucchini with tops and bottoms cut off.

Salt to taste

1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions

3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, or dried dill spice to taste

3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, or dried mint to taste

2 minced garlic cloves

1 teaspoon freshly finely grated lemon peel

1 cup Panko Japanese breadcrumbs

1 beaten egg

1 cup feta cheese crumbled well

vegetable oil to fry

Greek Yogurt or Greek Tzaziki Sauce to top off lamb gyros and Greek Zucchini meatballs.

Directions:

Grate zucchini on large holes of box grater onto clean kitchen towel. Sprinkle zucchini with 1 teaspoon coarse salt; let stand at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.

Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment or foil. Wrap zucchini in towel; squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Place zucchini in medium bowl. Mix in green onions, 3 tablespoons chopped dill, mint, garlic, lemon peel, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Gently stir in panko and egg, then feta. Using 2 tablespoons zucchini mixture for each, shape mixture into 1 3/4- to 2-inch-diameter patty; place on baking sheet. Chill the mixture for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.

When you make the Greek Zucchini Meatballs roll into 12 meatballs then slightly flatten with your hands so meatballs are not too high.

Add vegetable oil to a heavy skillet over medium heat until oil is hot. (Remember warm pan cold oil and food won't stick, was one of my beloved Mother's sayings, which I always recall.

Carefully add the Greek Zucchini Meatballs into the hot oil, and fry in about 1/4 inch of oil.

Cook until golden and the food is cooked through. (Takes about 4-5 minutes per side).

Remove to a wire rack lined with paper towels to let oil drip off.

Best if served warm, and can be re-warmed in oven or convection cycle for a few minutes, but do not microwave because it will become soggy and distasteful.

Arrange Greek meatballs on a serving platter.

Arrange your Greek Souvlaki on pita breads on a serving platter .

(For a pretty presentation I used one long peeled thin strip of carrot and made a pretty bow around each lamb souvlaki on pita bread).

Add Greek thick yogurt or Greek Tzaziki Sauce into a serving bowl and pass it around to spread on both the zucchini meatballs, and the lamb gyro's.

I hope this recipe becomes a keeper because it really is delicious and so Greek and tasty.........Enjoy!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Greek Zucchini meatballs with Feta Cheese and DIll

My kind of dish, adore. Yum yum! Love this. Thank you so much.

Respected Contributor

On 2/2/2015 Goldie76 said:

My kind of dish, adore. Yum yum! Love this. Thank you so much.

You are so very welcome Goldie, and it is ours too, because it really is yum, yum, yummy!!!

I know as Greeks we both love to cook Goldie.

We also love to serve family, guests, and of course enjoy our food creations too.

Company also loves it, both Greek and non Greek, because it is "Para Polie Nostemo"...... which in English means it is extremely tasty.

Enjoy my dear friend, and have a lovely week.

Trusted Contributor

You post the best recipes, Adore! This one looks really yummy. Thanks for sharing!

Honored Contributor

You have a happy week, too, adore!

Respected Contributor

On 2/2/2015 northernlights said:

You post the best recipes, Adore! This one looks really yummy. Thanks for sharing!

Hi northernlights,

I am thrilled that you think the recipes I post are the best recipes.

Thanks so very much.

That is some compliment, and I am extremely honored.

These recipes are delicious too, and the Greek Zucchini meatball recipe is a nice change from typical "meat" meatball recipes.

Zucchini is also one of our favorite veggies.

Respected Contributor

On 2/2/2015 Goldie76 said:

You have a happy week, too, adore!

Thanks dear friend!

Respected Contributor

This sounds delicious. I love zucchini. It seems to me that my grandparents, who were from Italy, made something similar with zucchini. I will be copying this down and trying it! Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

On 2/2/2015 Marienkaefer2 said: This sounds delicious. I love zucchini. It seems to me that my grandparents, who were from Italy, made something similar with zucchini. I will be copying this down and trying it! Smiley Happy

I am so glad you will also try this Greek recipe, and if anyone grows squash and zucchini veggies then they know these veggies also may or may not produce flowers which are also edible and delicious.

I have included a link below which troubleshoots why many do not produce as they should in the home grown foods garden, and is very informative in general.

Why a Zucchini Flowers But Does Not Produce

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/zucchini-flowers-but-not-produce-26167.html

Honored Contributor

Oh yum! Thank you for posting. Can't wait to try these since I LOVE zucchini and LOVE feta! So cool...a meatball recipe w/ no meat!

Adore...I've been meaning to ask you...do you have a favorite Baklava recipe? I have never tried making it myself...have many recipes I have found...but no recipes that someone recommends and loves.

My dear departed BIL was Greek. I miss him terribly...he died a couple years ago WAY before his time. I had always wanted to make him Baklava...but sadly never did.

I would love a recipe you swear by, if you don't mind? Thank you!