Honored Contributor

Re: Gourmet holiday shows and Passover

Maybe this is a good example of why the hosts shouldn't concentrate so much on telling us how a product can be used.  

And stick to just describing the product.

Super Contributor

I understand your point but there are other people who celebrate passover other than Jewish faith. Some Christians celebrate it as well. I am of Baptist Faith but I was raised as a child to honor the Lenten season by sacarficing something that I enjoyed for 40 days. We also grew up not eating meat on Fridays and Wenesday as well. We fasted on Good Friday until noon. To say this many households do things different and it is never an insult to no ones faith. We take everything personally and we want to take things and act like we are the only ones who do things. Let us remember that we all worship the same  God but we call him differentlly. We love to punish each other and put things in a way to disparage the entire concept. The Greek Orthodox celebrate passover as well.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not surprising. And no reason to be offended. A have met many people who know nothing about the culture and have never met a Jewish person ever. My experience. 

Contributor

I never heard of other faiths besides Judaism that celebrate Passover,,,Its not the same as Easter......Passover requires special food throughout 8 days  as well as separate dishes only to be used on Passover...

Contributor

I did and also wrote to the social team

Respected Contributor

@Skyegirl21  If you say something to millions of people you should at least know what you are talking about. 

Trusted Contributor

I am not aware of any other religions observing Passover, it is one of the most sacred of the Jewish holidays. I am Catholic but am still well aware of what Passover is, and am very conscious that ham would be a huge NO for some folks, even without Passover. And if an adult is not aware of that, especially someone in this type of a position they should learn a bit more about the world in which they live. 

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Respected Contributor

So please educate me.  What's wrong with ham on a bagel?

Respected Contributor

I didn't see the show that the OP is referring to. But I have to say that I can't imagine that Pat or Jayne would deliberately insult the Jewish faith or even be insensitive about Passover. Why put them on blast and publicly embarrass them? Just direct your comments to the powers that be and request that they speak to the hosts about different religious dietary practices when presenting food? 

As a Catholic we do not eat meat on certain days in the liturgical calendar and not on Fridays during Lent especially not on Good Friday. If a host were presenting a beef tenderloin and suggested that it would be a good choice for a Good Friday meal I would not be insulted.  We all need to learn about other religious practices but I do not think it is necessary to call out a host for making a mistake. I am sure they feel awful about this.  

Trusted Contributor

Alberti and Rachel both commented that  shrimp would be nice on the Passover table.  Seems to me that all hosts need to be educated on Jewish dietary law or keep their mouths shut since they seem to be ignorant on this subject.