Respected Contributor

Re: Gourmet holiday shows and Passover

Sometimes a little research is needed when presenting an item. If you know nothing about a topic (Passover foods) do not bring it into the sale. And yes, I find it offensive.

Esteemed Contributor

Why don't you post on We #love QVC Facebook Group. Just tap on the link at the top and it will take you to the site. I know they moderate the site. I think if you are going to sell , you should be as accurate as possible. If you have any doubt, don't say it. Wishing you well.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner 

I hear ya.  And agree.  Woman Happy

That's why I mentioned, & pared it down specifically to the "Ham" specifically, (& not the Cake). 

And why I qualified the "grafting," which wld require perhaps far, far more study than ppl would know, care, want, or even be expected to know at all.

Seems to me tho, that the Ham, (esp at Jewish Passover,) is really, really, is kinda a more serious "faux pas,"  And might be sharing a opportunity to welcome the opportunity to learn, knowledge & reason for respect.  A kind favor to share that specific educational opportunity & knowledge. 

Ppl  (99.9%  *wink*) here are "good, kind ppl," & from what I've experienced here, wld welcome the opportunity to know more, esp abt simply only the "ham & Jewish Passover."  Ppl here dont want to offend, even out of "non-knowledge."  They seem to welcome the opportunity to know *how* to respect something as important in difference to some.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Years ago I also heard Mary Beth Roe say how a ham would make a perfect Passover dinner. 

~~~~

@Shelbelle

Surprise, altho maybe not so much.

I think Mary Beth Roe is a specific Ch* denomination, that maybe not be informed abt that.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some ppl might not be aware of the difference between the reference to "Passover" (Jewish)  & "Lent" (Christian)

I can not imagine ANY name/host mentioned here wanting, intending to offend.  I can imagine ALL mentioned are so kind, notably kind, & would ,by no means, wld want to offend.  They just may need to be updated of the differences, simply,     & maybe that's the end of it, (unless more one is possibly more curious.)

But *not* intentional of anyone, that I can see, even here!

(added)

BTW, "Passover" (J), & "Lent" (Ch)  most often, fall on different dates each year.

(esp added here, might help in purposes of Q food sales/demos)

Honored Contributor

Yes, to me it also looks like QVC is using their influence with customers to change Christmas traditions.  

I do not think it is because they don't know them.  They are not excused.  

Respected Contributor

I bet if someone polled people out on the street about the differences between Passover, or Easter/Lent, many would be unable to differentiate between the celebrations, and particularly their history. 

I don't think any of the Q staff would ever want to personally offend anyone's faith. It's a lack of knowledge, that shouldn't happen, but it does. 

For everyone, but particularly in the Q's far reaching roles, they need to be better educated. I'm surprised someone on staff hasn't corrected the issue.  

Trusted Contributor

@CatLady72 wrote:

Yesterday Jayne Brown and Pat James Dementri were hosting......Both of them stated during a presentation of My Grandma's Cake and Ham that these would be good for Passover..As a Jewish person , these statements are offensive , and I do not understand why these hosts are not trained by QVC that these foods are not eaten at Passover....This has happened before........I would like to know who I could contact at QVC....any suggestions would be helpful....

@CatLady72  I don't watch the Q anymore, and this is another example why.  These two hosts, and someone here mentioned another host of the same age who made the same comment, should know better.  With their backgrounds in broadcasting and being in the public eye all of these years, it's unfortunate they are unaware of this Passover tradition.  Here again, another example of no show prep.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

That is so sad, I did not hear it but if I had I would have been horrified and been picking my jaw up from the floor. That is something that QVC needs to correct with their hosts immediately. Many years ago I hired a young lady from Oklahoma, she was raised in the south and was not familiar with the ways in our city. On a Friday during Lent she asked me why it seemed that on Fridays the only on the menus for lunch was fish. I had never given it a thought, but I soon gave her a quick rundown on the religious dietary restrictions that were prevelant in our city that we worked within each year. QVC should do the same. My apologies to anyone that was upset by this occurence, that is so sad.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Honored Contributor

I think we have to remember that a lot of people were not raised in religious homes, or knew a lot of people of faith growing up and were not around different faiths--and it gets more so as time goes on.
I also know that lots of people of different faiths who do not adhere to many of the older rules and traditions, nor celebrate them in the old way.  So I'm not going to ascribe bad intentions in this day and age.