Respected Contributor

Re: Gourmet Holiday... OH MY gosh..are you kidding?

On 10/14/2014 Pook said:

Maybe for the average person, the price seems unreasonable but considering the time it takes to prepare a turkey and have it turn out moist and tasty - well for some the convenience is worth it! Everyone splurges on something at one time or another. To spend time cooking food from scratch is a waste of time for some that could be spent enjoying the company of family and friends. For some their day with family is more important than spending it in the kitchen cooking or being so tired they can't enjoy the holidays!!

I don't understand the need for some to make such critical statements about anyone who chooses to purchase any food item. You may not want to spend the money, but if I were hosting a holiday dinner now I surely would think it was money well spent. I did the messy tiring endless cooking and wouldn't do it again as I never got to enjoy all the fun the others were having - plus all the cleanup. My time is worth more than saving money!!

I don't necessarily think it's the turkey that is time-consuming, its all of the sides

Super Contributor

No is making you buy it. Calm down.

Honored Contributor

Yes, it's expensive. So what? Are we now "price shaming" people who can afford prices like that and are willing to pay those prices for the quality of the food, the ease of pre cooked foods and convenience of having those foods delivered right to their door? You have to remember that "expensive" is a relative term. What one persons calls an outrageous price can be a fair price or even quite inexpensive to someone else. Some people don't go through life putting price tags on everything.

Honored Contributor

On 10/13/2014 sciencegeek said:
On 10/13/2014 BooBoo2 said:

So take advantage of those who are "unable to get out on their own"? How do they get out and buy milk, bread etc..?

Why am I the only one who looks at a 3.5 lb br. of turkey (think about how small that is...) and would pay 45.00 for it?

Gosh, maybe I'm just crazy.

You're not crazy. I think the prices are ridiculous, too. But there are always people willing to pay it, strangely enough.

I think the food prices are outrageously high too. I will say I did buy Jrs. mini cheesecakes last year for gifts--one was sent directly since I wasn't going to see that person. Years ago I tried the turkey you are talking about. Cooked one and it wasn't that great so I donated the other to a person in line at a Food Bank type organization. Person was happy to get it. I recently tried the steaks again--much higher than I would pay locally, but I wanted the convenience of having them already sealed and frozen. One order will last me a long time. I'm amazed at some of the prices they charge for the prime rib, nuts, croissants, etc. They must sell a lot because there are so many Food Fest shows.

Valued Contributor

I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where there's no shortage of stores, including the big box ones, Costco and BJ's and I'm also fortunate enough to be able to follow the sales and drive where I need to go to get what I need to get. When I wonder who and why people order these products I have only to remember my own mother who, at an advanced age, was legally blind due to diabetes and who was unable to even get around her own house, let alone out to the store.

Yes, the prices tend to be high but that's the price you pay for convenience. When my mother wanted to do something special for her children she would send us tins of cookies or chocolates or something that she thought we'd like and all she had to do was pick up the phone and dial. It gave her a choice, a way for her to let her kids know she was thinking about them and that's what was important to her.

Maria

Super Contributor

On 10/15/2014 hopeQ1 said:

No is making you buy it. Calm down.

No one is making you be rude. Calm down.