Honored Contributor

Re: Good food storage containers - not Lock and Lock

On 1/25/2014 brandiwine said:

I bought into the L & L and found them to be pretty bad. They haven't lasted and crack easily. They said they wouldn't stain, but they sure did. I have some of the newer Rubbermaid and the glass ones that I like.

I agree with chickenbutt. I've used many types and have never found one as high quality as L&L.

I've had mine for several years. I've had not one develop stains. I had one crack because it fell when I opened the freezer (frozen plastic will do that).

But with all this said, it is plastic, after all. So I'm always pleasantly surprised at their longevity.

They do what they're supposed to do. But obviously, the OP wants a different type of storage product.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Tupperware! Lasts & lasts a long time.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought Sterilite containers from Target...I like them so much better then L&L......you can buy them individually.....or they use to sell...not sure now....a box full with different sizes....they are plastic....not glass....

Trusted Contributor

I refrigerate leftovers, premade dishes, etc. in glass -- Pyrex or Corning dishes with lids. If it's something "smelly" that I don't want to infiltrate the refrigerator, I put a sheet of plastic wrap over the top of the container under the lid. No problems. Now when I'm ready I can remove the dish from the refrigerator (leave it out on the counter for a few minutes for the temperature to moderate if I'm concerned about possible cracking) and pop it into the oven or microwave and have it ready to serve very quickly with minimum trouble and mess. The Pyrex or Corning containers clean up in a jiffy with no clinging odors or staining and last forever. No more plastic containers for me! When I have a little dabble of leftovers, I often refrigerate them in a coffee mug. I cover the mug with a piece of plastic wrap and pop a rubber band around the edge to seal it. Remove the rubber band before zapping the leftovers in the MW, and then the mug goes to the dishwasher. Easy-peasy.

Honored Contributor

On 1/25/2014 Skylands said:

Tupperware! Lasts & lasts a long time.

My main issue with Tupperware, for storage anyway, is that it is not airtight. I remember back when I worked for the company and the whole spiel about how it's airtight and liquid tight, etc. But I learned on my own that it is totally NOT airtight.

But I do have a few of the Rock n Serve pieces that I sometimes use for microwave heating and they are really great. It's that different type of plastic that doesn't break down in the microwave.

Like SuzieQ and others, I have never had my Lock & Lock stain. But I think some people put them in the microwave and I get that the vendor/hosts say it's microwave safe. But that type of plastic (I learned a fair amt about plastic back when I worked for THP) will naturally peel and stain.

Another reason for staining is to put tomato-based type foods in them BEFORE allowing the food to cool. Every year I make up chilis, spaghetti sauce, stews, etc, and I portion it out into Lock & Locks to freeze so that I can pop it out and vacuum seal it, after it's frozen (easier that way). I have never had one stain because I let the food cool completely before I put it in there. Anyway, that might help somebody, FWIW. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I started a thread here for L&L lovers, no takers, but I am enjoying my Sistema, that lock from the bottom up, not the top down, and I have enjoyed the draining containers for years, that I bought originally from HSN......but they no longer carry.......Smile I like the idea of glass, but no, they are not water tight, and I also can not carry any items to work, as I work in a prison.....meaning......no glass.......{#emotions_dlg.ohmy} I bought my Sistema, in beautiful colors, from Amazon, and Casa.com........Cool

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

On 1/25/2014 GoodStuff said:

I refrigerate leftovers, premade dishes, etc. in glass -- Pyrex or Corning dishes with lids. If it's something "smelly" that I don't want to infiltrate the refrigerator, I put a sheet of plastic wrap over the top of the container under the lid. No problems. Now when I'm ready I can remove the dish from the refrigerator (leave it out on the counter for a few minutes for the temperature to moderate if I'm concerned about possible cracking) and pop it into the oven or microwave and have it ready to serve very quickly with minimum trouble and mess. The Pyrex or Corning containers clean up in a jiffy with no clinging odors or staining and last forever. No more plastic containers for me! When I have a little dabble of leftovers, I often refrigerate them in a coffee mug. I cover the mug with a piece of plastic wrap and pop a rubber band around the edge to seal it. Remove the rubber band before zapping the leftovers in the MW, and then the mug goes to the dishwasher. Easy-peasy.

That's all good and well for foods that are refrigerated and particularly then reheated. I use casserole type dishes for that often, although I prefer high-quality stoneware to modern-day Pyrex.

But I personally wouldn't want to use glass containers for pantry storage or travel uses.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Oh qrap! I spelled your name wrong. I'm sorry, SuzyQ. Forty lashes for chicky.

Frequent Contributor

I switched over to Pyrex about 15 years ago. I use the Lock n Lock borosilicate glass containers, too. Most of these are round, some rectangular, and they still look brand new. I use these to store leftovers that will be reheated in the microwave.

I use plastic LnL without BPA in various sizes from small to pretty big. I tend to use these to store cereals, flours, nuts, rice, grains, dried beans, etc., in the pantry or frig. These are all square or rectangular and still look brand new.

I have one large and one smaller Rubbermaid, the more expensive BPA-free kind that doesn't stain with the thick rubber lids, for acid-y tomato-based leftovers. I've had these a few years, and they still look brand new. Never stain.

My favorites are OXO brand BPA-free clear rigid plastic with white lids in a variety of sizes. These are the ones I reach for most often. I use these in the frig for everything from fresh produce and meat to canned pet food. They have inner seals similar to LnL with thick lids that "pop" on and off. I haven't seen these for sale in a while. Target used to sell them, but now Oxo only seems to sell the kind that have a "button" in the lids. I don't have that kind, but they get good reviews on Amazon.

Never have had a problem with air seals on any of these. None of these have ever failed or broken. I didn't buy any of these in sets except for maybe the Pyrex. I try to buy borosilicate glass and BPA-free plastic.

Maybe you can buy a small size of different kinds and see what works for you. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

On 1/25/2014 Irish Rosebud said:

I switched over to Pyrex about 15 years ago. I use the Lock n Lock borosilicate glass containers, too. Most of these are round, some rectangular, and they still look brand new. I use these to store leftovers that will be reheated in the microwave.

I use plastic LnL without BPA in various sizes from small to pretty big. I tend to use these to store cereals, flours, nuts, rice, grains, dried beans, etc., in the pantry or frig. These are all square or rectangular and still look brand new.

I have one large and one smaller Rubbermaid, the more expensive BPA-free kind that doesn't stain with the thick rubber lids, for acid-y tomato-based leftovers. I've had these a few years, and they still look brand new. Never stain.

My favorites are OXO brand BPA-free clear rigid plastic with white lids in a variety of sizes. These are the ones I reach for most often. I use these in the frig for everything from fresh produce and meat to canned pet food. They have inner seals similar to LnL with thick lids that "pop" on and off. I haven't seen these for sale in a while. Target used to sell them, but now Oxo only seems to sell the kind that have a "button" in the lids. I don't have that kind, but they get good reviews on Amazon.

Never have had a problem with air seals on any of these. None of these have ever failed or broken. I didn't buy any of these in sets except for maybe the Pyrex. I try to buy borosilicate glass and BPA-free plastic.

Maybe you can buy a small size of different kinds and see what works for you. Good luck!

Just an FYI: Most plastic for food use has been BPA-free for some time now. All current L&L products are BPA-free.

Oh, and chickiebutt, you can misspell my name anytime you want. {#emotions_dlg.lol}