Esteemed Contributor

Good food storage containers - not Lock and Lock

Tried a few of the L&L and did not like them, but I'm looking to replace my current food storage containers which are mostly old Rubbermaid. I have some of the newer ones and even they look shabby after a few years.

I use the larger, rectangles a lot, but everything now has rounded edges. Guess I'll have to learn to live with that. The sets often have lots of little containers and I don't want those so I may have to purchase individual containers.

Any recommendations?

Honored Contributor

Re: Good food storage containers - not Lock and Lock

Is there a TJs or Marshalls near you they have Sistema there and you can buy piece you need individually. They have another brand but the locking mechanism was one that wouldn't hold up in the long run

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I'll check there. But noted that they also have a clipping/locking mechanism and I just cannot get on board with that. I prefer the lids that just snap on. I might try one or two of the smaller ones though.

Honored Contributor

I've converted to all glass so I've been buying the Glass Lock at Marshalls/TJ Maxx/Home Goods. I'm there a lot, so I pick up a different size and shape every time I'm there.

It occurred to me that my pantry shelves may not have been designed for so much weight, so I've been only loading up about half the shelf with glass and the rest with lighter things like my dish towels and stuff.

That glass is heavy!

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Occasional Contributor

I was watching HSN a few weeks ago and they had Debbie Meyer UltraLite GreenBoxes I haven't tried them. I have some L&L the have melted pits and warped from the microwave, and yes I took off the lid. When watching the UltraLite GreeBoxes they said that they also can go in the microwave, but I think mostly they are for storage.

Cockatiels are not throw away pets!
Super Contributor

Ziploc makes some rounds with screw-on lids! They are the best! They're the only containers I'll trust in my bag for lunch. Everything else has leaked on me.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

If you would like to change over to glass, I can recommend Pyrex containers. I buy them at Target. Sure they are available other places. I changed over to glass about 3 years ago and am very happy with the change--no more weird colors in the plastic or concerns about could/would happen with food heated in the microwave.

Honored Contributor

IMO, you're not going to find another brand that is as good as Lock & Lock. So, if you don't like them it just goes downhill from there. I've tried pretty much all of them and none work as well. Short of vacuum-sealing, L&L is the best for airtight and liquid tight storage.

They also have some Borosilicate glass ones. There is another brand called Glass Lock that look similar and are similar glass. But I've found them to be less than liquid tight, so the construction isn't as good. I also tried the Snapware brand and it was totally not airtight or liquid tight.

Like Blondy, I like the Pyrex brand too. You might not find as many different sizes and shapes but it's always been a stand up brand. However, they don't use Borosilicate glass anymore. They use the less-integrous Soda Lime glass. There are issues with that when used in heat only, I believe. For Borosilicate glass, the Lock & Lock brand is very good.

Anyway, those are my views FWIW Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I bought into the L & L and found them to be pretty bad. They haven't lasted and crack easily. They said they wouldn't stain, but they sure did. I have some of the newer Rubbermaid and the glass ones that I like.

Valued Contributor

i have been very happy with the line called SnapWare (available at Bed Bath and Beyond). I have had many of my containers for many years (at least 7?). I use these for the cereals we eat the most, oatmeal, rice and grains, beans, etc. The cereal ones have a snap pour-out lid. Many of the others are just containers, though, no spout or lids. I'm sure this is sold elsewhere, too. I just happen to get mine at BBB.