Honored Contributor

Lately, I've just been using a moderately priced one - Colavita of Modena. I like it. I'm not a connoisseur of balsamic vinegar, however, so YMMV. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor
Costco sells a huge bottle for about &12.00.
Respected Contributor

True balsamic vinegar is made from a particular type of grape and processed in a specific way to create a syrup. The syrup is then aged for at least 12 years, can be much longer. There are only two regions in Italy that produce legal, authentic balsamic, and bottles of thsi stuff are identified by ‘Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena or Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Reggio Emilia. This product is thick with a mellow flavor. (The word traditional and the location Modena or Reggio Emilia are key to identifying authentic balsamic vinegar).

Grocery store balsamic is usually made from wine or white vinegar with coloring, thickeners, and sugar added to make an imitation balsamic that bears little resemblance to the real thing. I'm not saying that's bad. The two products are just different.

To answer OP's question, when FN chefs and cooks recommend that use the "good stuff", they're referring to the authentic, tradional type, not the grocery store type. OP, I think I saw what you saw recently...in a recent episode of In the Kitchen, they recommended the "good stuff".

I can't find real balsamic vinegar in my town, so I can't recommend any brands ... I haven't tried any! But OP, if you look online, say at Amazon, you'll be able to find good brands.

Honored Contributor

Thanks ladies, I had some that tasted so bad that I tossed it out, don't even remember what brand it was, this was a couple months ago, but have been wondering what kind to buy that would be good. I will look for some of these, but doubt I will find them in my local stores.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Snickster - if you are interested, the ColaVita brand should be in your local stores. Smiley Happy It's a good brand for olive oil, too.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, I will look, particularly for the ColaVita brand. Appreciate the help.

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

I just looked at my Wegman's label, and it read, "balsamic vinegar of Modena."

Soooo....!

Modena! Good place for balsamic vinegar and cars! When my DH and I went to a costume party, we went as the Duke & Duchess of Modena.

Super Contributor
On 1/27/2014 chickenbutt said:

Snickster - if you are interested, the ColaVita brand should be in your local stores. Smiley Happy It's a good brand for olive oil, too.

Hi chickenbutt, that is what I use as well. ColaVita is a very good quality affordable brand. Made in Italy. Balsamic Vinegar doesn't have to be super expensive unless you are a total food snob or professional chef. For the typical home cook, a mid-range brand is fine, just don't purchase the $2 cheap stuff or you get what you pay for. I love using Balsamic in savory dishes, but it's wonderful in some desserts too. If you want to kick up your strawberries, add a splash of balsamic to them when they are chopped, it brings out a great flavor and is wonderful over ice cream or angel food cake.

Honored Contributor

I think I could just drink the one Williams-Sonoma sells! It is the 25 year old barrel aged one I think--I'll check the label. If it is every on sale, I STOCK UP! I have every day stuff I cook with but this is wonderful when I need wonderful!

Contributor
On 1/28/2014 Sooner said:

I think I could just drink the one Williams-Sonoma sells! It is the 25 year old barrel aged one I think--I'll check the label. If it is every on sale, I STOCK UP! I have every day stuff I cook with but this is wonderful when I need wonderful!

I second this! It's Olivier 25-year Barrel-Aged Balsamic Vinegar from Williams-Sonoma. Yum!