Honored Contributor

Re: Going to make potato salad tomorrow.

I have never thought of having potato salad for Easter but it sounds good. We are having Honey Baked Ham, scalloped potatoes, asparagus with hollandaise sauce, glazed baby carrots, fruit salad and a big plate of deviled eggs of course.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/19/2014 ValuSkr said:

No, sorry. Seems a little early for potato salad. Maybe for Memorial Day weekend.

Now that's a whole new wrinkle! Potato salad is a seasonal item now?! Gadzooks -- I've been eating and making the stuff year round my whole life! Who knew?

Regular Contributor

I just made my potato salad - actually I make two - one with egg and one without for DH.

I also just made the strawberry pretzel salad and I'm not sure I'll ever do it again - time consuming.

Making baked beans in the a.m. - and a fruit salad. Made brownies today and bought a lemon meringue pie.

Potato salad is for any day. (sign me: Dog Tired)

Honored Contributor

On 4/19/2014 GoodStuff said:
On 4/19/2014 ValuSkr said:

No, sorry. Seems a little early for potato salad. Maybe for Memorial Day weekend.

Now that's a whole new wrinkle! Potato salad is a seasonal item now?! Gadzooks -- I've been eating and making the stuff year round my whole life! Who knew?

Yes, it's true! LOL I guess it depends on the type of potato salad - there are so many - and where you live. Around here, we view cold potato salad as a picnic-ky item; a real treat, to be sure. With a ham dinner, we'd have scalloped potatoes or something similar.

Contributor

Potato salad sounds great! I'm making either that or mashed, but leaning towards potato salad. I'm making a meatloaf, too.

Super Contributor

In Texas, if you have barbeque, you pretty much have potato salad all year long. Also, makes sense with ham. Guess it's a regional thing. I just bought potato salad today (instead of making it only for a couple of people.)

Honored Contributor

I make potato salad all the time.

Regular Contributor

Potato salad is good anytime. I bar-b-q year round also. Nothing is "seasonal".

Having potato salad, Honey Baked ham, lasagna (home made sauce), mixed fresh berry salad, broccoli slaw, rolls, pound cake (if you want to put berries on it), pineapple cheesecake, ice cream and hot fudge. If that's not good enough - too bad!!

Have cooked the eggs and potatoes - will add the other stuff and the dressing and put it together in the morning.

Happy Easter to all!!

Esteemed Contributor

When I lived in the north most people didn't eat potato salad year round, it was a summer thing. Here in the south we make it at Christmas, Thanksgiving or any time. If you really think about it potato salad (with mayo) is probably better when it is cooler because if left out in the heat you can get sick from the mayo turning.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

I made potato salad last night. After cooking and cooling the potatoes & eggs, I mixed the salad and we tried it out. Today it'll be with barbqued steaks. Just two of us.