Respected Contributor

Re: Going Away Gift Sugggestions for Co-worker

On 6/12/2014 mominohio said:

I have to concur that you must know her likes to consider the DD gift card and lottery tickets, as those don't seem just random choices. If those are things you know she enjoys/uses, she will be touched that you know her well enough to get her something that is specific to her, not just a generic gift.

I'd like to offer up one suggestion to all who ask/answer these various gift threads for help. So often, Starbucks gift cards are suggested. People seem to assume that it is a perfect "one size fits all" gift. There are many of us out here who would never use such a thing. Don't drink coffee, or wouldn't enjoy anything offered there. I know there is more than coffee, but I fail to understand how some think everyone likes coffee in general, overpriced fancy coffee on top of that. To me, it is like assuming that a carton of cigarettes is a good, one size fits all gift.

I'm sure she will be happy to just be remembered.

Fyi...................Caffeine is the most used legal drug today. Cigarette smoking has dropped considerably.

Honored Contributor

We opted for a silver bangle from Brighton so she could always have us with her at her new job when she wore it. Did not want to leave but needed to be closer to her blood family so had to say goodbye to her ""office"" family of 12 years.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

On 6/12/2014 Skylands said:

I have to concur that you must know her likes to consider the DD gift card and lottery tickets, as those don't seem just random choices. If those are things you know she enjoys/uses, she will be touched that you know her well enough to get her something that is specific to her, not just a generic gift.

I'd like to offer up one suggestion to all who ask/answer these various gift threads for help. So often, Starbucks gift cards are suggested. People seem to assume that it is a perfect "one size fits all" gift. There are many of us out here who would never use such a thing. Don't drink coffee, or wouldn't enjoy anything offered there. I know there is more than coffee, but I fail to understand how some think everyone likes coffee in general, overpriced fancy coffee on top of that. To me, it is like assuming that a carton of cigarettes is a good, one size fits all gift.

Fyi...................Caffeine is the most used legal drug today. Cigarette smoking has dropped considerably.

Not sure I understand your point. I wasn't considering either as a drug, or bad, just that as there is a whole world of people out there who don't smoke, there is a whole world of people who don't drink coffee. Neither one would be a proper gift for many out there. There are some "one size fits all" gifts out there (Visa gift card for example) and other that just aren't and I was making the point that the often suggested Starbucks gift card isn't one size fits all.

Respected Contributor

On 6/12/2014 Skylands said:

Not sure I understand your point. I wasn't considering either as a drug, or bad, just that as there is a whole world of people out there who don't smoke, there is a whole world of people who don't drink coffee. Neither one would be a proper gift for many out there. There are some "one size fits all" gifts out there (Visa gift card for example) and other that just aren't and I was making the point that the often suggested Starbucks gift card isn't one size fits all.

Yes, I get it. It's just your analogy was wonky. There are Starbucks on every corner of the city. I don't see the same for cigarettes. Most people love caffeine. You don't and the price is to high for your taste. So be it.

Honored Contributor

I think the Dunkin Donuts question was because perhaps the poster didn't consider it classy enough. I'm assuming you know the eating tastes of this co-worker, and a restaurant gift card is always appropriate. If she likes Dunkin Donuts, go for Dunkin Donuts.

Super Contributor

I like the bracelet idea and the lottery ticket idea if that is something she would like. An Amazon gift card or Barnes and Noble so she can get a book if she is a reader.

What could someone who works in the school cafeteria as a lunch aide possibly do to not have her contract renewed? If I am guessing correctly all she does is watch as children are eating their lunch, follow the cafeteria rules and let them go to the restroom if they need to. I'm sorry she lost her job. Its hard to be unemployed these days.

Respected Contributor

On 6/12/2014 SusyQ22a said:

I like the bracelet idea and the lottery ticket idea if that is something she would like. An Amazon gift card or Barnes and Noble so she can get a book if she is a reader.

What could someone who works in the school cafeteria as a lunch aide possibly do to not have her contract renewed? If I am guessing correctly all she does is watch as children are eating their lunch, follow the cafeteria rules and let them go to the restroom if they need to. I'm sorry she lost her job. Its hard to be unemployed these days.

Could have just been something as simple as budget cuts & she may have not had much seniority (if that counted at all in this case).

Super Contributor

On 6/12/2014 depglass said:

I think the Dunkin Donuts question was because perhaps the poster didn't consider it classy enough. I'm assuming you know the eating tastes of this co-worker, and a restaurant gift card is always appropriate. If she likes Dunkin Donuts, go for Dunkin Donuts.

I agree, if the OP knows this lady well enough and this is a place she frequents and enjoys, then great option. If it is just a random choice, then bad option.

I really think ennui1's suggestion makes the most sense. Unless this lady didn't need the job, if she is now unemployed, having some other people contribute and purchasing her a VISA gift card that she can use towards anything she needs is a much better and useful idea than perhaps giving her $25 to spend in a doughnut shop. People often mean well, and your gesture of any gift is very kind and thoughtful....but sometimes it is not what the person needs at that time. OP, you know this lady best, use your best judgment. I'm sure she will appreciate anything you give her.

Super Contributor

On 6/12/2014 VCamp2748 said:
On 6/12/2014 SusyQ22a said:

Could have just been something as simple as budget cuts & she may have not had much seniority (if that counted at all in this case).

I see your point but usually these people are part time for a few hours a day like during school lunch time and then they leave. They get paid very little. They're there to give teachers duty free lunch which is something teachers by law should get. If they're cut, then teachers are on duty for lunch. At least that's how it is at my sister's school in NC. She teaches at a public school. NC law dictates that employees get a duty free lunch of at least 25 minutes.

Trusted Contributor

On 6/12/2014 imaclotheshog said:
On 6/12/2014 ennui1 said:

If she's going to be unemployed, take up a collection and get her a Visa gift card.

That would probably be what I would do.

If she's not leaving by choice, it may be that she may soon be in a financial bind.

A Visa, MasterCard or AmExpress gift card would be great gift, she could use it at the grocery, a restaurant or wherever she chose.

This is definitely what I would do. Actually, I did do this once for a part-time security officer who was let go unexpectedly. I also was in shock when the officer told me of her termination because my observations indicated that she was an asset. The officer would always check on me when making her night rounds because I often worked late and was the only person in my building, walked with me to my car, wrote summons for persons parked in handicapped areas, did not allow drivers to double-park and impede the traffic on the campus, etc. I knew she would be financially strapped and she had guardiansip of her teenaged grand-son. As a p-t employee, she had no benefits. I gave her a check for $100.00 and she cried (so did I) while expressing her gratitude. I only wished I could have given her more because of the concern she exhibited for my safety and for her visibility on the campus. I later wrote a character reference letter for her but subsequently lost contact with her. The ironic thing about the termination was that she had recently applied for the FT security officer position in her department and was optimistic about the possibility of being offered it.

As a lunchroom aide, we can assume her salary is peanuts. I would think she could use the VISA card to help out with lean days that may be ahead of her-- it could possibly be the money used to put gas in her car to get to a job interview one day.