Honored Contributor

Re: Gnats! Driving us crazy! Anyone use having trouble this time of the year?

@mima wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@mima wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I wanted to report on the gnat situation!!!

I have been using the suggestion of apple cider vinegar and dish washing liquid and I am happy to report that it works!!!!  

DH was like --- what are you doing???  -- when he saw me preparing a small bowl -- and I told him what I had read, just shook his head.  

It is so nice not to have those blasted little things buzzing around!

Thank you so much!!!!!  Woman Very Happy

I just now made me a small bowl also after reading this thread. Yes, I have them too.  I also have bananas sitting out.

BTW, DH calls them gnats and I call them fruit flies.  Are they the same thing?

@mima

I put the little bowl right beside where the bananas are and it is working!  I am amazed!!! 

@AngelPuppy1  I caught 4 myself!  Yay!  I did the same, right by the bananas.  BTW, I think mine are fruit flies.  They are red or brown, not black at all. 

@mima

I'm glad you're getting results, too!  I don't know --- are fruit flies bigger?  In any event -- we don't want any of those little nasties flying around us!!!  Smiley Frustrated

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  I don't know which is bigger.  The ones I got were pretty tiny.

Honored Contributor

@mima wrote:

@mima

I think those are gnats - but I'm not sure either!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@mima wrote:

@mima

I think they are all gnats -"fruit flies" (drosophilia) are much larger  and are what we used in high school genetics experiments..fruitfly.jpg

Respected Contributor

Pictures on the internet make them look so huge.   They'r...

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@mima wrote:

@mima

I think they are all gnats -"fruit flies" (drosophilia) are much larger  and are what we used in high school genetics experiments..fruitfly.jpg

Pictures on the internet make them look so huge.   They're both tiny, fruit flies seem to have a fuller body and are larger.   Not by much tho.   Fungus gnats is what they call the ones that live in the dirt.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
New Contributor

Spent 3 days last summer trying to get rid of about 200 fruit flies. I tried variations of cider vinegar, grape juice, apple shaped traps, etc. what worked for me was the clear window strips made by blk flg or R..d. I have a mimi blind at my kitchen window. I put the strips near the bottom of the glass pane just above the window frame.  When I go to bed I turn off all the lights in the kitchen & raise the blind about 2-3 inches. When the sun comes up they fly towards the sunlight & they get stuck on the clear sticky film.  When I buy bananas (yellow, not green) I put them in the frig. The skin will turn black but the bananas will  be fine. BTW my grandparents lived in Brazil for abt 10 yrs, & the bananas that are imported aren't popular in Brazil !  They prepare bananas by baking, frying or grilling.  Grocery stores & restaurants also have fruit fly problems.