Honored Contributor

Gluten free, dairy free, preservative free.... H E L P !

I'm on an exclusion diet for migraine, which essentially means no gluten, no dairy, no preservatives, no yeast!

I've been living on grilled chicken and rice for a week and I'

I like to cook and I've checked out a number of recipes, but my options are so limited at this point.

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions, especially for store-bought items, because the amount of ingredients needed to make one gluten-free thing is staggering.

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Gluten free, dairy free, preservative free.... H E L P !

Lots of yummy stuff made with almond flour. Almond fried chicken and fried fish are great. Chocolate chip cookies, cauliflower pizza crust w. Tomato and garlic and olive oil.

Look at Paleo recipes online for ideas. There are lots of yummy things that meet your requirements.

Hope you find your migraine solution. 👍🏻

Respected Contributor

I am pretty much on the same page you are-and I'm not finding it all that hard. I am also grain free (I do allow quinoa and beans) Organic soy products are on my menu, as is organic free range beef-when available.

Salads are fantastic, and I dare say I eat a pound or two of produce a day.

I glean recipes and ideas from all over and there are tons out there. For inspiration, Google things like easy vegan meals, Wheat Belly-Dr. Oz and Joy Bauer have quite a few recipes that fit...if you don't have it already, be sure to stock up on flax and almond meal as well as coconut flour.  Be sure to look up a recipe for Cloud Bread: there is a dairy free cream cheese out.  I could go on and on, but this should get you on your way.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We once had to dig up all the gluten free info we could find for my mother, on line. It's loaded with info. So I'm guessing, if you put in all three of the above for "recipes" you may be getting a boat load of info. I would do that. I don't think there's much you can't find on line today.  and...............don't forget your local library.

Just a minute, I'll go look up the 2 books my mom used for gluten free....

Bette Hagman book1. The gluten-free gourmet, living well without wheat & 2) More from the gluten-free gourmet, with more than 265 recipes, delicious dining without wheat. Mom's books are well-worn.

Cheese crisps in one, she wrote "real good"; weekly she made crumpets (weekly she had these) There's an expensive flour RED something, that she used for this. The groceries are loaded now with this stuff, Barnes and Noble sell all kinds of books on it and see your library!! Those 2 were from the first book. Hope this helps. @house_cat

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

You're basically talking about a paleo or primal diet, and it's a great one for health for just about anybody. But I learned the hard way that replacing the bread and pasta I was used to eating with any kind of alternative at all, just bought me a world of trouble.

Now I eat protein, like any kind of eggs or meat, with a BIG side of steamed vegetables, for most of my meals, especially breakfast. Very energizing. Or I'll have a big salad, with some kind of protein in it, usually for lunch or dinner. Or I'll have soup, with meat and veggies in a clear broth or bone broth, often for dinner. These meals can include infinite variations in ingredients and preparation methods. More important, they let your body adjust to not having grains and carby grain substitutes. For me, the benefits started showing up in weeks, but the full adjustment took months.

When I'm out, I can eat some bread (imagine Paris with no croissants!) and not suffer consequences. And if I am craving carbs, I might add a small potato or sweet potato to whatever I'm cooking. However, if I allow myself to have grains or beans at home, even if they are gluten free, they "re-addict" me to carbs. I just have to coach myself to see these things as "non-food" -- at least for me. 

Yes, after a lifetime eating grain based food, the change isn't always easy. In some ways, though, it's easier to just eliminate them entirely than to always be thinking and worrying about not eating them or substituting things for them. Good news is, paleo isn't weird or hard, and gives you a lot of scope. Carbs are just a habit. And eating happens one mearl at a time, so right now is all you have to deal with!

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat

I need GF to keep symptoms at bay. My fav snack is Glutino pretzels. GF bread/bumblebee tuna/baked potato ... the supermarket now has lots of choices.

I don't eat ice cream/salad dressings. 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

Try baking a sweet potato or yam in the oven. You can make several at once and then use them as a sidedish with your protein. Reheat in the microwave and fill with ground beef, ground turkey, ground chicken or ground pork. Not ready-made, but since you can make several at once, they are convenient. I also boil them like you would a white potato and mash them up. They also keep well mashed up. Totally GF!

Respected Contributor

You can try making Chinese Food.  Most Chinese food is gluten free and dairy free. Rice is gluten free. You can make a side dish of rice.  And then stir fry vegetables and meat using gluten free soy sauce (Kikkoman makes it). It's very simple.  No fancy ingredients needed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@violann wrote:

Lots of yummy stuff made with almond flour. Almond fried chicken and fried fish are great. Chocolate chip cookies, cauliflower pizza crust w. Tomato and garlic and olive oil.

Look at Paleo recipes online for ideas. There are lots of yummy things that meet your requirements.

Hope you find your migraine solution. 👍🏻

Good idea, but I forgot to mention no nuts and no soy, no tomatoes, chocolate, bananas... the list goes on and on and on.

I guess what I really wanted was sympathy.  I'm not handling this well.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

Hi @house_cat.  So sorry to hear that you're having a tough time with this way of eating. After reading your last post, it does sound very restrictive. If you don't mind and are comfortable with sharing it, how did you come upon this diet? With what you have posted, it not only seems somewhat overwhelming but rather random as to what you can't eat. Is it possible for you to eliminate all the foods you have listed as well as the others you say are too numerous to mention and then add back one at a time to see if you can eat it without causing a migraine?

Wishing you all the best.