Honored Contributor

Re: Glass cookware - new to me!

[ Edited ]

I had some of that brown stuff, if you burned beans in the glass it was hard as all get out to get out the black smudges. Gave all mine away. Still see it at flea markets, rummage sales, etc.

Everything is cyclical. You got Corelle stuff, Vision stuff, I used to use a big ol' meat grinder (we called it coney island grinder nobody in here would know what that is , though.)   heavy aluminum gadget that you attached to your counter edge and turned the handle to grind up bologna, cheese, onions, pickles, boiled eggs, etc.    Mother in law made her own sausage but she was born in 1918 and you raised your own hogs, etc.

See those old grinders at garage sales, etc. Now, we got food processors, ninja gadgets to do all that work.  We used to pop popcorn only in heavy cast iron skillets, too. Nobody does that any more and you wouldn't be caught dead being seen using bacon grease to pop it in.

ROFL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE  My momma made pimento cheese with an old grinder like that!  And deviled ham.  Then we got blenders and a food processor.

I hate glass cookware.  It is impossible to get clean.  Even Corning wear gets those little specks you have to work like the devil to get them off!  I have gone to porcelain cookware like Apilco and Emile Henry over the years when I found them on sale.

My most used set however is a three piece rectangular set I got recently at Sur La Table.  It is sizes I use all the time and they have LIDS for storage.  I think I paid $49 for the set and they clean up great.  They had it in R E D.  I got white.  Just checked only six left I think and in yellow.  

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I had some of that brown stuff, if you burned beans in the glass it was hard as all get out to get out the black smudges. Gave all mine away. Still see it at flea markets, rummage sales, etc.

Everything is cyclical. You got Corelle stuff, Vision stuff, I used to use a big ol' meat grinder (we called it coney island grinder nobody in here would know what that is , though.)   heavy aluminum gadget that you attached to your counter edge and turned the handle to grind up bologna, cheese, onions, pickles, boiled eggs, etc.    Mother in law made her own sausage but she was born in 1918 and you raised your own hogs, etc.

See those old grinders at garage sales, etc. Now, we got food processors, ninja gadgets to do all that work.  We used to pop popcorn only in heavy cast iron skillets, too. Nobody does that any more and you wouldn't be caught dead being seen using bacon grease to pop it in.

ROFL

@SharkE.  I have one of those grinders. I remember attaching to a cutting board that was built into the counter and you pulled it out. I used to grind beef chunks into hamburger. That was about 50 years ago. I'm sure I still have it in the attic.

Honored Contributor

yeah, few of them left around . I see them at rummage and craft shows

flea markets.  Have to wash those many blades, heavy as all get out

have to tighten them down.

glad I don't have to go that any more

Esteemed Contributor

I had a set of Visions smoky brown glass cookware in the early 90's also..It never proved to be a workhorse in my kitchen, but it was pretty and trendy. I used my All- Clad for heavy duty cooking.

~~~All we need is love💖

Respected Contributor

Talk about a blast from the past!  Had a couple of the Vision pots.  Never had any problems with them.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mom used one of those big old metal meat grinders that attached to the table.

I seem to recall her grinding up ham for ham salad.

Honored Contributor

I don't think I remember glass pots, but I do remember that glass percolator (not electric, went right on the stove burner) that just about anyone who perked coffee had.  Forgot who made that thing.  My parents had one.

Respected Contributor

What goes around comes around.  I remember the glass stove top cookware. Inherited a couple of pieces from my sister.  It was heavy.

I actually purchased a grinder about 10 years ago.  I make nut rolls at Christmas.  My kitchen is small; storage space limited. I learned that when preparing food for two I fall back into the old way of doing things.  Thus I don't own a food processor, blender, ninja or the like.

Respected Contributor

yes exactly. one drop and good buy glass pan. i loved the look of the kitchen aid glass mixer bowl but i was so careful with it and 9 monthes after we got it when i was loading the dishwasheri had mixer dowl on bottom rack and i dropped something small and our glass mixing bowl smashed.  no