Trusted Contributor

Glass Bowl vs. Stainless Steel Bowl?

For those with the KitchenAid stand mixer, what are the pros and cons of the stainless steel bowl versus the glass one?  Which do you prefer?

Super Contributor

Re: Glass Bowl vs. Stainless Steel Bowl?

My KitchenAid mixer did not come with a glass bowl, only stainless steel, so can't speak from experience. But I can say that I prefer the stainless steel. I own 2 of the larger ones and one smaller one. One big advantage....don't have to worry about breakage and then replacement cost.

Super Contributor

I looked at the price of a new replacement glass bowl

OUCH !!!!!

Yes it can be put in the microwave, but the chance it will someday break :-(

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Contributor

I like the look of the glass but the stainless steel is not breakable, so based on that alone, I prefer stainless overall.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I still mix baking goods in a white milk-glass mixing bowl from my grandmother's Hamilton Beach stand mixer.

The stand is long gone, but the bowl is going strong about 70 years later.

ETA:  I see this is about Kitchen Aids.  I don't have one and didn't even know they had glass mixing bowls.  That's the one I would prefer.

Respected Contributor

I like that they offer the glass bowl. They do have the stainless bowl available. I'll probably pick it up later. I agree that stainless is great for making whipped cream. 

I act like I'm going to start a bakery or something and I'm still trying to recover from my few days of being out of town, lol. 

Honored Contributor

I have both. My KA came with the glass and I purchased the stainless which I prefer.

The glass is very heavy. The base cracked soon after purchase. They replaced it no problem but it has never fit in the base quite right. It is awkward for me to use.

I will use it when I need a second bowl but reach for the stainless first every time.

Honored Contributor

I prefer the SS. The glass one is heavy. I use one of those large Anchor Hocking 8 cup glass measuring bowls in the microwave. It comes in handy making some candy.

Respected Contributor

The glass bowl does help you see any missed areas when you are mixing. Their glass is really tough as was our grandmother's. I wouldn't put the glass in the microwave, but use a regular bowl for melting things. I have stainless steel in my Wolfgang Puck one, but alais, I haven't used a full size mixer in years. I have a handheld Kitchen Aid and a GE digital one that is awesome as well. I still don't use those often, but mix by hand for most things, even cookies. I consider it a good workout. There are some doughs that are best with a mixer and require a pro mixer because they are dense. I find if I bake, I eat what I bake, so I try to keep my baking down. At holidays and family get-to-gathers, I do the veggies so I don't have to be tempted to bake things I should be eating. If it isn't in the house, I can't eat it.....
Respected Contributor

Respectlife, That is an excellent point about it being heavy, then you fill it with dough and the like. A stainless steel one would be much better for those that need light objects. Not to mention the KA weighs a ton itself, but being so pretty, it is worth keeping out on the counter.