Trusted Contributor

Re: Glass Bowl vs. Stainless Steel Bowl?

THANKS to all of you nice, thoughtful, posters.  I was eyeing the TSV with the glass bowl, but opted for  one with a SS bowl instead because I am klutsy and probably would break a glass bowl.  So my DH purchased one for me from Macy's with the SS bowl when they were on sale.  About $30.00 more than the TSV, but at least I won't be breaking the bowl!!

THANKS again for all who responded.  Appreciate it very much.

Respected Contributor

The glass bowl is sooo heavy to begin with. Add a heavy batter and it hurts my wrist! I much prefer the metal. It's much lighter, and if making whipped cream, it's great to put the bowl in the freezer beforehand so it gets cold.
Respected Contributor

I have thePro model with the bowl lift, and as I wasusing it multiples times yesterday, I began thinking of the glass one and how heavy it must be.. It is getting hard to lift even this one, and fudge-making is beginning to seem like a 2 person job...

Contributor

I have both the stainless bowl and the glass bowl. The glass bowl is very heavy, especially when full of dough. But, it does hold much more then the stainless bowl.

Respected Contributor

@PhotoQueen wrote:

I have both the stainless bowl and the glass bowl. The glass bowl is very heavy, especially when full of dough. But, it does hold much more then the stainless bowl.

Really? How much does it hold? Mine holds 6 qts..is it bigger than that?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Cynthia Sue wrote:

Broken KA glass bowl on the PBS baking show quarter finals last Sunday.  On the Food Network's show tonight the baker had been repeatedly striking the rim with a metal implement before breakage occurred.

That being said, I ordered one today although  I still have my 35 year old KA.  So, will use both bowls and be careful not to hit the glass rim repeatedly with a knife!

The glass bowl broke on Food Network All-Star Academy tonight.  I've seen the glass bowl break on cooking shows four times.  IMO, it didn't look like the bowl was mishandled in any of the cases.

Respected Contributor

You don't have to choose: you can buy a bowl after market and add it to your mixer, which I did. 

You can see the progress of batters with a glass bowl and it has a pour spout.\

You can pour in ingredients without the spout--it's wider.

You can see the measurements on the side and use them

You get a second bowl--very useful for all kinds of baking.

And it really looks great on the counter, for some reason. 

Downsides: much heavier, can break.

You don't have to choose: you can buy a bowl after market and add it to your mixer, which I did. 

Respected Contributor

As a rule I prefer glass over SS, but not for the mixer.   

LOL, you can however dent it.  I did that once by dropping it.   

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Occasional Contributor

My KitchenAid mixer came with the glass bowl and I do love it because I personally like being able to see what's inside of it while I'm mixing, but I will say that the glass bowl is heavy.  Whenever I make a big batch of cookies or if I'm mixing up 2 batches of dough for home-baked raisin bread, I definitely have to use both hands in order to remove the bowl from the stand.  I do also worry about inadvertently knocking the bowl off onto my tile floor.  If that happens, bye-bye bowl! And the price to replace that glass bowl isn't cheap by any means!.  (Also, I never put my glass bowl in the microwave, although it says that you can.  My microwave is above the stove, and I fear that I'd make a mistake and drop it somehow.) I will say that I do like the way the glass bowl looks with my raspberry-colored mixer, though!

Occasional Contributor