Honored Contributor

My granddaughter is a GS and always sells the cookies.  They even have gluten free cookies for those like me who can't eat gluten. I always buy a few boxes to support her troop.

If you do not have any GS near you and want some cookies, Walmart has them all year around sold under their own brand name.

Respected Contributor

I always bought & sold tons in my day when we went out & took orders. Now they don't do that you have to track them down. Last year it was in the paper they would be at a place & the time so I went & no one was there. The laziness of todays kids is nuts. Then they need their mom there because they can't figure out what you owe or the change you should get back. So not going to hunt for them anymore. Cookies are too expensive anyway.

Honored Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

I always bought & sold tons in my day when we went out & took orders. Now they don't do that you have to track them down. Last year it was in the paper they would be at a place & the time so I went & no one was there. The laziness of todays kids is nuts. Then they need their mom there because they can't figure out what you owe or the change you should get back. So not going to hunt for them anymore. Cookies are too expensive anyway.

@CLHS68.  They stopped the door to door around here. The Scouts are not lazy, but have to watch out for adults.

In 1973 in Hillsdale NJ, a GS was murdered by a teacher no less when she was delivering the cookies.

If you google that information and see what a horrendous thing happened to a 7 year old. 

I for one am glad they discontinued this practice. 

As another poster said, you can buy them at Walmart.

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  The girlscout was Joan.  She lived around the corner from me.

Her mom founded Joan's Joy, in rememberance.

Sorry to highjack the thread, but around here no more door to door in decades.

Honored Contributor

@roxxy1 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  The girlscout was Joan.  She lived around the corner from me.

Her mom founded Joan's Joy, in rememberance.

Sorry to highjack the thread, but around here no more door to door in decades.

@roxxy1.  Hi Roxxy. Yes, I do know her name. I'll never forget it. I worked in Montvale at the time. In those days it was usual to let your kids go door to door. These days you wouldn't dare. 

I still to this day feel so bad for her Mom. 

You and your family must really have been hit hard.

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  This is the memorial in the nearby park dedicated to her daughter.

th.jpg

Honored Contributor

@roxxy1.  What a beautiful Memorial. 

Honored Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

I took my granddaughter to a Brownie meeting last week in another town.  She is 13 and was one of three older GS who helped the Brownies learn how to make change and what to charge...they have a chart to use for multiple boxes that might be purchased.

Girls helping girls..great program.  Girl Scouts are prohibited from going door to door to sell cookies.  It is too dangerous.  You can buy them online or at other locations around your area...often outside or in the lobby of Walmart or a local Mall. 

They are expensive because selling cookies is a fund raiser for the Local GS council as well as individual troops and the GS of America.

Respected Contributor

Aldi carries several varieties of cookies identical to Girl Scout Cookies and they run about $2.00 per package.  These include Samoas, Thin Mints, the peanut butter ones that are chocolate covered as well as the peanut butter sandwich cookies.  There may be more; I plan to take a closer look next time I’m in the store.

These are not GS Cookie “wannabes”.  They are the exact same cookies with different names.  If you look at the photo of the cookie on the package, you can tell which GS  variety you’re getting.  They must be made by the same baker that bakes the GS Cookies.  I can’t believe they are charging $5.00 per box now.  Yikes.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Trusted Contributor

@Topaz Gem  I haven't bought GS cookies in ages so if you know the names of the ones at Aldi , I'd  love to know that.  Thanks