Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Getting rust off of cast iron

If it is real cast iron, you might try the Lodge website (even if your pan isn't Lodge).  The website has a lot of care instructions.

Honored Contributor

Re: Getting rust off of cast iron

@lovesrecess - I have my grandmothers cast iron skillet from the 40's.

I got a little over ambitious washing it one day and had to re-season it.  This is how I did it.

1. Remove all the rust: Use fine steel wool to remove rust from affected areas. Scour the skillet until the area returns to raw cast iron.
  2. Wash the skillet thoroughly: Wash the cast iron with warm water and mild dish soap. Scrub with bristle brush, gentle scouring pad, or mesh sponge if needed.
  3. Dry the skillet: Thoroughly dry the cast iron immediately with a clean dish towel or paper towels.
  4. Cover the pan with a coating of oil: Apply a small amount of vegetable oil (or cooking oil of choice) to the entire piece.
  5. Don’t forget the bottom and handle: When oiling, don’t forget the bottom and handle. Use only a small amount to avoid a sticky surface.
  6. Place the pan in the oven: Place the cast iron upside down on the top rack of your oven. Place a sheet of aluminum foil or a foil-lined baking sheet on the bottom rack to catch any oil drips. Heat the cast iron for one hour at 350°F.
  7. Let the pan cool before using: Turn off heat, let cast iron cool, then get back to cooking!