Valued Contributor

Re: Getting cut and bleeding should be an instant disqualification.

We watch Chopped and other FoodNetwork shows in our house--great family viewing, but I digress. I agree that it is definitely gross to see someone cut themselves and then continue to cook. However, I worked in restaurants for many years and if a cook cuts themselves they do the same. Bandage and perhaps a rubber glove or rubber finger-tip thingy over the wound. And they continue to cook for the rest of their shift. If a cut is really bad, of course, someone is seen at a doc's office or the ER. I know it's gross-looking on TV, but in real kitchens people cut themselves and continue to cook.

Frequent Contributor

This has been discussed on food and TV forums. Even on Chopped when a person is cut you don't see the medic come and examine the cut and crew inspects the station. If it takes long enough they will pause taping and deal with it properly. Once in awhile you can catch this on the show. when there has been a cut you might see one chef but in the background the side of a blue shirt and jeans just of camera at the next station. There are times when a person will try to get the cut in a glove and wait for a medic to look at it. When this happens their station will be inspected and they still lose cooking time.

Some people who have claimed to be Food Network staff have said that on some shows cooking is completely stopped and all contestants start over after the cut is dealt with, then original footage of the cut is worked in.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/25/2015 lovestopaint said:

How would you like to be one of the judges that has to eat that stuff.

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

I assure you: You have eaten food prepared by cooks who have suffered a kitchen cut, covered it, and gone right on with their work! In restaurants, in homes.......wherever you eat, it has happened, even though you may not have been aware of it.

Contributor

Do any of you eat out? The best of the best chefs keep cooking. Glove & go. I've been in food service for 30 years & it happens every single day. Could you imagine replacing a cook every time one got cut? You'd have to close the restaurant! If it's bad enough I've seen them stitched at an ER & come back to work. Trust me. It's really the least of your worries.
Respected Contributor

If an athlete trips and falls during an Olympic event, should they not be allowed to get up and finish, if they are able?

Honored Contributor

Mothertrucker: That is comparing the old apples and oranges. It is poor food handling to bleed into your food. DH sees people everyday who do not how to handle food and become ill. He will not eat at potlucks, or restaurant buffets. Actually we hardly ever eat out.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Respected Contributor

I actually think it is very similar-

They are both COMPETITIONS- and we are not talking about chefs bleeding INTO their food- that is always disqualified, I have seen it happen many times- we are talking about chefs, injured in a competition, treated by a medic with their injuries (bleeding) contained..

Why should they not be allowed to continue?

How sad to be so afraid of the unseen "enemy" that you won't even eat outside your own home...

Life, in general, is messy, and many times unsanitary...and yes,many people do not know how to handle food and become ill- most recover, and live to eat another day...

Honored Contributor

On 2/27/2015 ncascade said:

Mothertrucker: That is comparing the old apples and oranges. It is poor food handling to bleed into your food. DH sees people everyday who do not how to handle food and become ill. He will not eat at potlucks, or restaurant buffets. Actually we hardly ever eat out.

My husband is this way,too. We eat out occasionally, because he knows I enjoy it, but very rarely. He says he "needs to know" what's in his food and who cooked it. It's kinda quirky, but he's almost perfect otherwise, so I deal with it. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

MT: Yes they do bleed into their own food. We've seen it. And it is not sad just unsafe. I think they should be permitted back after the injury is healed.

DH says it is really about food handling.

I do not about you but I can't see ebola but I'm afraid of it.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Respected Contributor

Yes but when they DO bleed into the food, the food is disqualified on Chopped- no one eats it-

Being afraid of Ebola doesn't mean I stay in my house, afraid to interact with anyone else...it means taking caution- not living in fear....