Contributor

Getting Tired of All the Prepared Foods

Is anyone else getting tired of all the prepared foods that seem to have taken over the ITKWD programs? 

I bought a Masterbuilt electric smoker (two in fact) and make my own BBQ ribs, thank you very much and I have been making my own mac and cheese from my grandmother's recipe since I was 10 years old.  Why in the world would I want to buy it ready made and have it shipped to me from half way across the country?  I can buy ingredients locally at a whole foods market and make my own snack mix for pennies on the dollar of what they sell it for on air.  I bake my own cakes, pastries, and cookies and if I don't feel like baking, I have a local bakery that does an excellent job and they are not nearly as expensive plus there is no shipping.

I am so frustrated with the turn QVC has taken in recent years (and I have been a loyal customer since before the name change to QVC by the way) I'm just about to remove them from my favorite channel lineup and just say I'm done!

Honored Contributor

Re: Getting Tired of All the Prepared Foods

All I can figure is that the prepared foods appeal to people in rural areas or people who are housebound.  Costco sells so many prepared food items like cooked ribs.

I will admit I used to buy chocolate croissants from Williams-Sonoma because they were good.

Respected Contributor

I would never buy any of it because of the price and some are so high in sodium, which I try to avoid. 

Honored Contributor

Well.... it must be selling or they wouldn't continue and add even more to their inventory.

Am I tired of it?  Well, I'm basically a short-cut cook and don't mind a really good item that is already prepared.  My problem is the price (even with free shipping it's priced high IMHO) AND sometimes the disappointment in ordering something that turns out to a $60 Ham) and it was literaly filled with fat and had a bone twice the size it should have been. Went to my local supermarket and bought one that was bigger, had a normal bone and was moist with a low salt taste.......for about $25.

So I don't buy much food off the Q.  I recently decided to try the Corazonas bars and I'm enjoying them, but none of the "flavors" taste like what is advertised, but they taste good.  I also love Oats.  They are filled with Stanols and Sterols and heated in the microwave slightly they are great for breakfast with my coffee.  I am a Diabetic and was worried about the carbs and sugars (even with all the fiber).... but not only did I hit my target reading a few hours later, that reading was great and on the low side.

If things weren't so expensive I'd probably try more....  Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@HowsYerMommaAnEm There are viewers who do purchase and like them.  Guess your best bet is "remove them from my favorite channel lineup and just say I'm done!"

Respected Contributor

@HowsYerMommaAnEm I am not tired of the QVC food.  I buy many items because of convenience and for the most part am pleased.  Because it is not possible for me to do the shopping or cooking at this time, it makes life easier for my husband.  You are fortunate to be able to do all that shopping and cooking; but that is not possible or enjoyable for everyone.

Honored Contributor

It's convenient.  Many people work all day, have kids involved in various activities, have activities themselves they are involved in and just don't have the time to make food from scratch.  

Respected Contributor

Not me, I enjoy the cinnamon rolls, pot stickers, and especially the Corky's BBQ. I used to live a n Memphis and love that I can get my favorite BBQ shipped. I live in Cheryl's cookies backyard and still can't get better pricing than QVC on their product.

I do not enjoy gardening shows so I change the channel.
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

All I can figure is that the prepared foods appeal to people in rural areas or people who are housebound.  Costco sells so many prepared food items like cooked ribs.

I will admit I used to buy chocolate croissants from Williams-Sonoma because they were good.

Absolutely. Not everyone has a Costco near them or a membership card. Or even if they do, they don't find it convenient to shop there. My mom isn't housebound, but she's had rheumatoid arthritis my whole life and there's no way she could walk all over Costco and then wrangle big items into her cart, then into the car, then into her home. the only Costco in the area was also 30 minutes away and she hates driving and rarely and wouldn't feel comfortable driving three towns over to buy groceries. 

In recent years, she has had dizzy spells and balance issues and hasn't driven at all and my dad does all the shopping. She wouldn't dare send him to Costco because he would fill the house and garage with crazy things because they seemed interesting and it was a good deal. 

Mom is not a QVC shopper, but when I went home for Christmas, she had bought some cakes through a catalog and I'm sure those weren't cheap, but she just wasn't up to baking anything herself. I could have done it when I got there, but she likes to plan ahead and that would be too last minute for her. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@tansy wrote:

Absolutely. Not everyone has a Costco near them or a membership card. Or even if they do, they don't find it convenient to shop there. My mom isn't housebound, but she's had rheumatoid arthritis my whole life and there's no way she could walk all over Costco and then wrangle big items into her cart, then into the car, then into her home. the only Costco in the area was also 30 minutes away and she hates driving and rarely and wouldn't feel comfortable driving three towns over to buy groceries. 

In recent years, she has had dizzy spells and balance issues and hasn't driven at all and my dad does all the shopping. She wouldn't dare send him to Costco because he would fill the house and garage with crazy things because they seemed interesting and it was a good deal. 

Mom is not a QVC shopper, but when I went home for Christmas, she had bought some cakes through a catalog and I'm sure those weren't cheap, but she just wasn't up to baking anything herself. I could have done it when I got there, but she likes to plan ahead and that would be too last minute for her. Smiley Happy

As a sufferer of rheumatoid arthritis, I absolutely know how your mother feels....